Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a job interview downtown yesterday and as I got off the train some guy approached and started talking to me. He said he had an Amazon.com-like business and that it was something I could do on the side.

I knew right away it was some type of start-up sales scam because this isn't the first time I've encountered this. An ex co-worker of mine tried to get me to sign up for one of these pyramid scam type sites.

He asked for my contact info and I gave him a fake phone number, but my real email address. He in return gave me his business card. I decided to go to the website just to see if my suspicion was correct. When I clicked on the "about us" link, Firefox popped up a possible "clickjacking attempt".:sus Needless to say, that's all I needed to know that I in fact was correct. I closed my browser to get out of there.

I'm curious to see if he'll email me saying that my phone number didn't work lol. I don't plan on responding if he does.

·
R.I.P. Do not contact.
1,905 Posts
Yeah, I always do my "Henry Krinkle" thing at Radio Shack or in situations like this. I even have two email accounts solely for spam, which oddly get far less spam than my legitimate ones.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't even give these people the time of day. If I feel a pitch coming on, it's like they don't even exist.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've given a fake phone number to guys in the past whom I'd rather not receive calls from. (Though, to be honest, I'd rather most people didn't call me!)

One person in particular comes to mind. He is just as clingy and creepy as they get. We have some mutual friends, and he figured out where I live. He has come to my house more than once. I actually hid in the kitchen (where he could not see me if he happened to peer into windows). This was a humiliating experience, and also one that taught me that I seriously have a problem. Even though this guy really freaks me out, I can't believe I hid from him.

Has anyone had an experience like this before?

·
Somewhere but not here.
1,802 Posts
not necessarily fake, but more of an outdated phone number. My family's old land line number, when I need a number and don't want to give out mine.

·
Banned
1,198 Posts
whenever i've been in a similar situation i just say something like "not interested" and walk away. i would have to be cornered like a rat to give out a fake info. actually, i remember going to golds gym a long time ago once with a friend and some guy convinced my friend to try to convince me to become a member. they even took me to the guys office to sing up. both were trying to convince telling me how good it was going to be. yara yara.....said i was going to think about... he asked for my number... i gave him a fake one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts