Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I like to grow vegetables and certain flowers. I once grew my own tomatoes from seed and had a bunch of them to eat, also grew potato once and they are REALLY good if you grow them on your own! I have milkweed planted for local butterflies, and I did try pumpkin, got 1 but it rotted after picking it, dont know why? I have 2 cacti in my house, they are easy to grow.

I'm also growing Rose Of Sharon from seed, from plants that were allowed to cross over many years here, resulting in a white flower with magenta lines on each petal, havent found one like it being sold yet!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I used to have a really big garden before I moved here. I'm pretty big into plants, though. I started some mesclun and some seeds have germinated. I will probably buy a few things to put in pots. I don't have any ground to plant in.

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
I do. I grow mint, raspberries, blueberries, watermelons, strawberries, corn, and roses (2 plants).

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
:wtf Be careful! :stu
:lol WOW!!!!!!!! Really?? Its a flower.....very beautiful actually. I think John is thinking of the OPIUM poppy somewhat different than what I believe the poster meant....just my thoughts anyway...

I always thought I wanted a veggie garden until I had one. It takes a lot of upkeep and A LOT of water which is an issue when you live in the west, where its hot and you get a lot of sun. I am going to do herbs this year though....maybe. I dont like to have things that require lots of attention since I like to take off for days with my hubby on traveling trips and I dont want to have deal with who is going to water them....esp since I really dont have anyone to call on for that.

·
Yup.. it's me!
2,458 Posts
I try to every year.. with moderate amount of success.. unfortunately we don't get that much sun anywhere in my yard... but I keep trying... hehe :)

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
:lol WOW!!!!!!!! Really?? Its a flower.....very beautiful actually. I think John is thinking of the OPIUM poppy somewhat different than what I believe the poster meant....just my thoughts anyway...
Yes, I was thinking of Afghanistan when I read that. :lol So, the poppy is a flower, too? Happy gardening! What about poppy seeds on a bun at Arby's :con.

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
I am just trying to keep my plants sane this summer. I have a palm tree that I have had for four years (four stalks - one's a runt :lol). A second stalk had some problems with leaves not opening up causing it to turn 45 degrees - I have been trying to get it back to going straight up! Also, January and February saw a bunch of leaves dry up and fall off. I think that is typical - but SCARY :afr. I am anxiously looking forward to being able to leave it outside all summer long - the growth takes off like crazy!

I also have my "dad plant" given to me by my company when he died. It is just starting to grow a new series of leaves - awesome to see. I had to put it in a bigger pot recently (with MiracleGro potting soli ;) ). The pot is inside an old bucket of Margarita mix! He'd get a kick out of that. :lol Tomorrow would have been his 63rd birthday.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
Yes, I was thinking of Afghanistan when I read that. :lol So, the poppy is a flower, too? Happy gardening! What about poppy seeds on a bun at Arby's :con.
They can show up as opium in a drug test. It happened to someone my mom knows. They ate something with poppy seeds in it and it came up as opium in a drug test.

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
You mean people can get high off the seeds of a bun at Arby's? I don't remember even tasting them! :puke

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
You mean people can get high off the seeds of a bun at Arby's? I don't remember even tasting them! :puke
No, not at all. It just goes through your system enough to show up on a drug test.

You can grow opium poppies. No one would ever know. Nobody has any idea what opium plants look like because they are too busy being local hero and tattle telling on people growing marijuana.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,113 Posts
You can grow opium poppies but you'd have to grow a lot of them to produce enough to do anything with.

I believe the California State flower is the Poppy. (It does not produce opium) It is actually a weed.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
I'm pretty sure Arbys only has sesame seeds on their rolls. The poppy seeds are the black ones. I love a good kaiser roll with poppy seeds and poppy seed rolls for that matter. I never heard of anyone getting high from eating them.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
You can grow opium poppies but you'd have to grow a lot of them to produce enough to do anything with.

I believe the California State flower is the Poppy. (It does not produce opium) It is actually a weed.
The California Poppy (Eschscholzia californica) is in the Papaveraceae family but it's not like the opium poppy, although it apparently can be used to make a very mild sedative. Considering how much you can do with just a few pods of a Papaver somniferum, I'm pretty sure you don't need to grow a plethora of them. To make heroin, I guess you'd need a whole lot. To make opium or opium tea, you wouldn't need as many. Not that I am encouraging anything. Anyway, the opium poppy has been used for ornamental purposes for a pretty long time.

Back to the subject of gardening, I just planted more lettuce and I'm debating whether to order any cold hardy palm trees. Yucca "palms" (yuccas that have a trunk) are becoming popular here. I might get one if I can find a good price.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.