Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, off hand I know Arcanum is similar, and there is always Wasteland (based off of this of course) and the rougelike Gammaworld or whatever it's called.

But other than that...

Does anyone know any other games like this? I know many people were working on their own versions of fallout or post-apocolyptic games but I only know of one that ever got a good looking demo out and I have no idea what happened after that...

Or does anyone know any muds that are similar to fallout?

Or hell, any good muds in general. It's been a long time since I could get into one of those.

And of course, Brotherhood of Steel was just not the same. Anyone know what happened to most of the guys who worked on fallout?

Oh yeah, and then Lionheart... Tsk....

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Anarchy Online and Star Wars Galaxies are kinda sorta like that.

I'm not aware of anything that's a direct lift of the Fallout universe, though :|

-Ryan

·
Registered
194 Posts
Jagged Alliance 2 is what comes the closest to Fallout, IMO. Turn-based combat just like the one in Fallout, a lot of RPG elements (skills, items, etc.), similar setting, which is in some 3rd world country...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Many fantasy games are in the same play style (baldurs gate for instance, it's made by the same people as fallout too), but I guess that might not be the genre you're looking for. The amount of quality post-apocalyptic/cyberpunk games is much to limited though...

You might be able to find some forgotten gem at http://www.the-underdogs.org

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heh.

Of course I was at underdogs earlier today trying to find something, (ended up downloading imperialism 2) and yeah, baldur's gate series is very good, but done with as well.

And agreed, back in the day, I was really into Jagged Alliance too.

Thanks for the imput, seriously though, why didn't people copy great games like fallout?

Bah, oh well.

Also I've been liking Escape Velocity: Nova a helluva lot lately, anyone who hasn't tried that give it a try!

·
Registered
328 Posts
there was a mod in the making for Battlefield 1942 called Wasteland where the weapons/vehicals were all old and rusty and had that post apocalypse desert look and the player models were punk looking.Im not sure if it ever was completed though

edit: yeah its been released

http://www.modnmod.com/mods/Wasteland_2042/reviews.php

·
Registered
17 Posts
saint liebowitz said:
well, off hand I know Arcanum is similar, and there is always Wasteland (based off of this of course) and the rougelike Gammaworld or whatever it's called.

But other than that...

Does anyone know any other games like this? I know many people were working on their own versions of fallout or post-apocolyptic games but I only know of one that ever got a good looking demo out and I have no idea what happened after that...

Or does anyone know any muds that are similar to fallout?

Or hell, any good muds in general. It's been a long time since I could get into one of those.

And of course, Brotherhood of Steel was just not the same. Anyone know what happened to most of the guys who worked on fallout?

Oh yeah, and then Lionheart... Tsk....
A bunch of the old fallout people went to work at Troika (who made Arcanum as you may know) but unfortunately they went bankrupt and disbanded in the fall :( They're all over now, I think. I think a few may have went to Obsidian, who made Knights of the Old Republic 2. Brotherhood of Steel was done by a development team that had nothing to do with either of the fallout RPGs, and the Fallout name was used to simply cash in.

Unforuntately, theres not too many Post-Apocolytpic games out there or in development. I know there is a german one that was released sometime last year, but it was apparently pretty buggy. I think there may be a US release date, but i'm not positive. I think it was called The Fall: Last days of gaia.

·
Registered
328 Posts
are we talking about BOS for the PC or the horrible horrible xbox version? I thought the PC version was great... not as good as 1 and 2 but I liked the squad-based stuff

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah I did play the pc version, it was... like i guess almost okay, in a way. A ghost of the true thing.

Squads were nicish, also reminded me of jagged alliance with less personality in some ways and less dificulty.

Never touched the xbox version.

There ARE some really good mods for brother hood of steel thought, that IS worth checking out.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I highly recommend Arcanum, one of the best RPGs I have played.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, Acanum was good in many ways.. there were alot of imbalances about it though, once again, check out the mods, alot of them are there just to fix all the freaking errors and whatnot in the game, but even more are just plain whole new worlds.

I do remember however, that many of the mods also made the game unstable. I think there is something fundamentally wrong with the engine or something..

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yeah, some of the scripting was bugged too... Who knows how many hours I spent on those quests to only find out that the quest was broken.. Oh well, still one of my favs :) I didn't know there was mods for it, I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
shaggy19024 said:
i read that they were making a fallout 3
Bethesda is developing Fallout 3 alongside The Elderscrolls 4: Oblivion. Theres no release date for Fallout 3 yet, but Oblivion is due out novemberish for Xbox 360 and PC.

Fallout 3 will probably arrive this time next year, I'm thinking. It's supposed to be using the new engine developed with Oblivion, but they've intentionally evaded questions about gameplay.

One last thing, There is no Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel for PC. It's called Fallout Tactics: Brotherhood of Steel and was not developed by the people at Black Isle like FO/FO2. Very stupid of Interplay to use the same subtitle two times in a row, though. This caused a ton of confusion.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts