Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Have you tried a combination of magnesium(-glycinate/taureate) and small doses of melatonin one hour before bedtime?

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
you might have sleep apnea which most docs never think of but if the prozax sedates you ask about lowering the dose, what is it? and take just before bed

buspar, IMO, is useless

·
Registered
544 Posts
Prozac is a very stimulating SSRI, why doctors prescribe it for anxiety is beyond me. Yes it can help, but what good is it when it makes you suffer from insomnia? Some of the less stimulating SSRIs might be better, such as Celexa or Paxil.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Prozac is a very stimulating SSRI, why doctors prescribe it for anxiety is beyond me. Yes it can help, but what good is it when it makes you suffer from insomnia? Some of the less stimulating SSRIs might be better, such as Celexa or Paxil.
Personally I think all SSRI's are stimulatling (although Prozac perhaps more than others) I think the reason some ie celexa and paxil may cause daytime drowsiness is likely due to the fact that their messing with sleep at night due to initial stimulation. After a few days without proper sleep we'd all be somewhat somnolent.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I think I know your problem. Buspar maybe be the culprit. When I was taking Buspar I ran into the same problem. I found out that Buspar with it short life (maybe 4 hrs) was wearing off during the middle of the night. This would allow all the anxiety to come rushing back in and I would wake up. It sucked... I quit taking it and had no problem after that. Do you take it before bed? This may be your prob. I took it @ 10pm and I would wake up every night like clockwork @ 2am. I would wake up take another dose of buspar watch tv for a bit while it kicked in and then I would fall asleep for another 4 hrs.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Celexa and Paxil tend to be the better ones in regards to less stimulation compared to Prozac and Zoloft. When I tried Prozac and Zoloft I had severe agitation and insomnia that just went through the roof. Celexa and Paxil felt to me a lot more sedating, but because of this they can make you slow, dumb, and drowsy. But of course this is just my own experience.

I was gonna say maybe Effexor might be a better balance, but I don't really recommend that poison to anyone. Same could be said for Paxil, but atleast you can get off it more easily by switching to another SSRI with a longer half-life.

·
Banned
139 Posts
I'm not sure whether to post this in "medication" or "frustration" because aren't they the same thing? Right now I'm taking 20mg of Prozac and 20mg of BuSpar. My anxiety/depression is somewhat better, but I can't sleep at night! I've been taking Prozac off and on for years and it's always helped with my anxiety, but it gets to a certain point where my need for sleep overtakes my desire for mental stability and I quit taking it. I called my doctor's office today, but who knows if he'll ever get back to me. After years of going through this same scenario with different doctors (and different medications), I strongly doubt he's going to be able to help me anyway. I'm really scared because I've been doing well in school and I got a job recently and I don't want to lose all that. I almost couldn't make it through work today because I was so tired. But if I quit taking the Prozac, then things will probably go back to the way they used to be and school and work will seem completely out of the question.

Anybody else share this problem or have any advice? I've tried taking different things in conjunction with the Prozac, to help me sleep, but it seems like they don't help me sleep at night, and some of them just make me even more tired during the day.
I've taken Prozac but that was in the late '80s. What I recall the most about Prozac were the sleeping problems and total sexual dysfunction. An erection was impossible.

Prozac is an older medication now. Maybe you should try a newer medication.

I have sleeping problems, too, and I take Ambien. I've been taking it for around 12-years--non-stop. I take 20 mg a night. It's a good medication but it's not perfect.

Going off an antidepressant and trying a new one is very, very, very hard and it disrupts your life. It is not fun. Sometimes it takes as long as six weeks to know how an antidepressant is working.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I was gonna say maybe Effexor might be a better balance, but I don't really recommend that poison to anyone. Same could be said for Paxil, but atleast you can get off it more easily by switching to another SSRI with a longer half-life.
I think Effexor serves its purpose as a last line treatment against severe depression among the new antidepressants, especially when combined with mirtazapine ie california rocket fuel, but its deffinetly not something that I think doctors should put people on generally unless most new antidepressants ie SSRI's, wellbutrin etc have failed first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts