Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a few new symptoms lately and wanted advice on how to deal with them. When I get really anxious, I get dizzy and feel like fainting and for a split second my mind gets all confused. These usually happen in spikes, so they don't last very long, but when they do, they can be scary. Also, when I am eating, I sometimes feel like I can't breathe. It is a weird sensation but swallowing my food becomes difficult. Anyone else suffer from these things? Please tell me I am not the only one :(

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
I have severe GAD. I get the feeling faint quite often. My stamina is very poor and just a little extra anxiety can make me feel faint. It's not so bad when it happens indoors (I can sit or lie down), but outdoors can be a problem.

I deal with it when out by monitoring my anxiety levels through how tense my muscles are etc. I keep my breathing at a steady rate and not let it become too shallow and quick because this leads to feeling faint. When breathing steadily and moving steadily, it keeps the heartrate down.

However, the most important way I deal with the symptoms is to not let them scare me. I just accept that sometimes they will be very intense and I cannot do much about that. I sometimes end up on the floor in public with faintness or exhaustion. This sometimes attracts unwanted attention. However, I do not let it stop me going out again, because I don't care what people think about it, and just get on with it. If I know I'm not well enough to do something, because it will only exhaust me for little gain, I accept that too and limit my activities.

Distraction while you are eating could be beneficial. I don't struggle to swallow, but have trouble eating enough in general. When intensely interested in something, it acts as a distraction and I eat more.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts