Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a month ago I was prescribed gabapentin (to go along with my bupropion) for anxiety. For the first week or so it was great...I was myself, I was spontaneously funny around strangers...it was like a miracle. Then pretty abruptly it stopped working. I've resisted the temptation to take a bunch more and see if that works.

So...is that that? Have I, like, tasted freedom or whatever only to be rebuffed?

Lyrica seems a little shady, nasty side effects...but I'd try it. Will it crap out on me in the same way?

People seem to have glowing results with Baclofen. Wikipedia says a major selling point of Baclofen is the lack of tolerance. Anecdotal message board posts disagree. I have a mild tic disorder so Baclofen sounds great, I just don't want to go through the same thing where it gives me hope and then just dies.

Clonidine sounds good for tics but people seem to say the supposed anxiolytic effect is BS.

I really, really don't want to try another SSRI.

I'm feeling a little hopeless. Merry Christmas.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I don't get people when they say they've conquered or achieved the desired effect for a week and then the drug doesn't work. If anything, it's probably just hyperness or some time of mild mania, don't even want to say that because mania is pretty bad.

If your on the couch and agoraphobic and your shivvering around people and heaving and throwing up and getting faint-ish and the medicine works, then okay, maybe it did stop working. But I feel like a lot of people really are misrepresenting the situation when they say drugs stop working after 1 week. I just believe imo it's a placebo effect in most cases. Unless your an extreme like I just exemplified before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found out about gabapentin's effect on social anxiety by accident once some time ago. I'm pretty sure that was not the placebo effect because I had no expectation the thing would do anything for my anxiety.

Of course it could have been placebo this time but I don't think it was. The feeling was familiar. I've done a fair bit of googling tonight and it seems like this is not uncommon with gabapentin, you get a tolerance quickly and are sort of burned out on it, possibly forever. I'm still taking them in hopes that you're right and it was just a mania thing and in another week or two it'll settle somewhere good. Positive thoughts or some ****!

I think Lyrica is meant to be better in this regard but I don't know. Conflicting reports about Baclofen. Y'know, the stuff I said before.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
my view was more on the side that the stuff you were trying actually hadn't worked. But trying it again can't hurt. If you haven't used an SSRI yet try them. They can really work well if you have anxiety or depression that is a burden on your day to day life.

It also seems that the more powerful ones work better. Since April I've been on 5 drugs now, paxil --> prozac --> cipralex --> zoloft --> nardil and it's gotten better each new medicine I take. Although prozac was the worst one for me. I REALLY believe there was no placebo effect there because I was throwing up and my stomach was burning every second of the day.

Don't make that stop you though, try whatever you can get your hands on. Almost all drugs are reversible, and living with depression or debilitating anxiety should not happen. I went from literally not leaving the house to being able to do almost anything I used to be able to do. Going to start work again and see how that goes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know you were saying it hadn't worked. I'm saying it did, and remarkably well. Which is why I'm bummed that it stopped and want to find another drug in a similar family or whatever to replicate those effects.

I disliked Zoloft. What's the point of not being depressed if you're mood-deadened with a numb penis? It also did nothing for my anxiety, only depression which bupropion is currently dealing with just fine. I'll try adding Paxil if I can't find anything else I guess and start that whole endless trial-and-error deal.

I wanted to hear people's experiences with Lyrica and Baclofen.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I agree; then zoloft is NOT for you. But keep trying other things. And btw, sometimes side effects are temporary, if it alleviates depression or anxiety, stick with it for at least 8-10 weeks.

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
About a month ago I was prescribed gabapentin (to go along with my bupropion) for anxiety. For the first week or so it was great...I was myself, I was spontaneously funny around strangers...it was like a miracle. Then pretty abruptly it stopped working. I've resisted the temptation to take a bunch more and see if that works.

So...is that that? Have I, like, tasted freedom or whatever only to be rebuffed?

Lyrica seems a little shady, nasty side effects...but I'd try it. Will it crap out on me in the same way?

People seem to have glowing results with Baclofen. Wikipedia says a major selling point of Baclofen is the lack of tolerance. Anecdotal message board posts disagree. I have a mild tic disorder so Baclofen sounds great, I just don't want to go through the same thing where it gives me hope and then just dies.

Clonidine sounds good for tics but people seem to say the supposed anxiolytic effect is BS.

I really, really don't want to try another SSRI.

I'm feeling a little hopeless. Merry Christmas.
There is pregabalin, anecdotal reports actually say withdrawing from gabapentin is a b****. Pregabalin is in the same class but is considered stronger. I think baclofen at a low dose (20 mg) is a good augmentation to other meds. By the way withdrawing from long term, higher dosing of baclofen is a physiological problem. Saw it first hand from my step-dad who uses it for M.S. Buspirone may help if you give it a 2 month chance. Also, augmenting with an SSRI and wellbutrin combo. Talk to your pdoc about your options.
Here is a new study by Stanford (2011) about CBT and other methods of decreasing SAD. D-cycloserine has had good results in some studies.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2011-08-stanford-vanquishes-social-anxieties-drugs.html

More info. in an article about studies on new anioxylitic drugs!!!
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/science-news/2008/medication-enhanced-learning-in-therapy-hailed-as-parad

http://scienceblogs.com/corpuscallosum/2010/01/possible_new_nonaddictive_anti.php

http://chipur.com/2011/03/17/future-mood-and-anxiety-meds-good-news-please/

Reactions: disturbed42
1 - 7 of 7 Posts