Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect that I have RLS and this prodrug of gabapentin is indicated for this. I already take lyrica at 600mg which is the maximum studied dosage, maybe it could be higher once the proper studies have been done. At the moment Im not allowed to increase it anymore, I got them to give me 750mg on a one a week prn basis.

Anyway.. My idea is to taper off Lyrica and switch to gabapentin enacarbil, then use pregablin prn when the gaba wears off early or any other time I need it.

Has anyone tried this stuff?
Please share your experiences with the drug.

Thanks

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
They both work on voltage sensitive calcium channel. They are a class of anticonvulsants known as alpha-2 delta ligands. They are known to bind to certain presynaptic voltage channels and can block excessive activation of neurons (glutamate) into the amygdala. Therefore causing less anxiety due the reduced excitatory transmitters. It has no direct effect on GABA receptors.

An interesting mechanism of the alpha 2 delta ligands is that they appear to selectively block channels where there is excessive neuron activity. This class of drugs is also used for neuropathic pain and fibromayalgia.

Tolerance seems to develop pretty fast on these medications. It's a good idea to use them 3x a week for SAD or take a "week long vacation" from them. Also, playing with your dose might help. If your up to 600mgs drop down to 300 or less for a week or so!

Here's a link that has a lot of info. on what this class of meds. really do!

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.0013-9580.2004.455003.x/full

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link it looks great, im going to read that soon.
I understand theres a seizure risk associated with pregabalin withdrawl, im nervous about cutting down my dose for this reason. I dont really know much about it, and couldnt find any clear information on when a seizure could occur and at what drop in dosage could cause one. Like most other drugs, im sure its different for each person.

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
My best advice is to titrate down very slowly. You can always open a capsule of say 100mgs and take half. So, you can go from 600 down to 550mgs, if you are concerned. But I would think a weekly decline of around 100 or 50mgs should be fine.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Interestingly enough I've found a fairly different subjective experience from Gabapentin and Lyrica. I found Gabapentin to be very euphoric, but not Lyrica.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts