Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Free Spirit
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, what are some potential medications in the pipeline (now in development) for possible future release, for social anxiety? It seems the trend is doctors now simply throwing ssri's at everyone, regardless of whether they are depressed or only have anxiety (as I do). I get that doctors don't want people to get hooked on benzos, but not everyone has an addictive personality. And why the hell would docs give someone an ssri with terrible side effects (which it seems to me they all have) to someone who only has anxiety? I realize ssri's treat depression and anxiety, but they aren't mainly for anxiety right? I am all for anyone who is depressed getting treatment, if that includes ssri's. But what about viable options for those who only suffer from social and performance anxiety, who don't want their sex lives ruined and a ton of other awful side effects.

Doctors, even regular ones who aren't psychiatrists, should be as quick to warn patients of the ssri side effects as the potential for benzo dependency in my opinion. Based on the research I've done, sadly, it seems there aren't any good ssri options for anxiety-only, without a s***load of side effects. Just wondering if anyone knows of any anxiety meds that may be coming out in the future, and if in fact beta blockers or benzos may be better than ssris for non-depressed anxiety sufferers.

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts

·
FREE
1,713 Posts
Maybe in the future people realize that anxiety is a symptom of something else, that it shouldn't be ignored or covered up with chemicals.

I'm optimistic about that future.

·
Going to war
3,928 Posts
Yeah withdrawal syndrome is no joke. Lot's of us may need to take SSRI for life.

It been so long. I can't rememer. Maybe we were screwed since day one.

Oh well becoming functional is worth afew side effect's.

If we can live a more productive and happy life.

·
avui, no demà
3,117 Posts
Maybe in the future people realize that anxiety is a symptom of something else, that it shouldn't be ignored or covered up with chemicals.

I'm optimistic about that future.
anxiety is "a symptom of something else" in all cases, is it? i don't quite understand your statement above.

·
Free Spirit
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't agree that anxiety is a symptom of something else. In some cases, perhaps it is, but not when you have nothing going on in your life to be the cause of it. My life is perfectly happy, but I have had uncontrollable physiological anxiety for years. Mine is social and performance anxiety. I am all for non-medical techniques to combat anxiety, but in many cases that isn't realistic. I tried to give a speech once and you could have told me all the deep breathing and relaxation techniques you wanted, but I still would have frozen up. Anxiety is often an involuntary reaction that some people have. It is physiological. Medication has to be part of the equation, I just hope that ssri's stop being such a big part of the solution because not everyone with anxiety is depressed. Some depressed people have anxiety, some people with anxiety are depressed, but in my case, I have anxiety but am not depressed at all. Plus I don't want a ton of awful side effects and impotence. So I am hoping there will be some meds in the future (along with natural techniques) that will be geared towards anxiety only for people like me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts