Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Notice house getting colder and noticed the furnace wasn't coming on. Checked it and the one of the lights was blinking. I then went outside scaled the snowbank and went around the house to check the pipes. Well a big snowdrift had buried both the pipes. I scooped the snow away and went back into the basement to reset the furnace. The stupid thing wouldn't fire. Checked the condensation line and it was clear of anything that would clog it. I then called the place that installed it. This is after hours call. I wish the stupid thing pulled this during the day. He told me to take off the top panel and it would get air and should fire. When I took off the top panel I found water laying on the bottom and also found water in the bottom part too. Well the intake must of sucked in snow. Well he had to put a new logic board in. It must of shortened out. This is the second time this winter it has been replaced. I had the furnace installed in '09 and never had trouble with this until this winter. The guy said that he didn't think it shorted out and the board is covered under warrenty. I wasn't going to argue with him. But provably going to be charged a fortune due to being after hours.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Furnace quit working again. Luckily, it started right up after I scooped the intake pipe out. Dang drifting snow and stupid neighbor for pushing a big pile snow toward my house. Never had this problem until this winter. Now I have to check on it regularly to make sure it stays clear.

·
Banned
12,867 Posts
hey, I guess you still have a lot of snow in Michigan, none here, can you not move the intake so that snow doesn't get into it..or make some kind of shelter for it..

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well just came in form blowing snow and found the furnace isn't working again. I took the front covers off to find water in there again. Also, I can smell burnt wire. So the logic board blew out again. If I ever get them to come over I will tell them to unhook the stupid intake pipe. It can be ran like that. It will just use the air from the house for combustion. My house was built in 1910 and there is a garage connected to the basement. So there is plenty of air for it. I will give up 5% eff but it is worth not having this aggravation. Luckily, I have a furnace that heats the garage and living area. The other part of the house I put the halogen light heater in there. I also have a space heater up in the bathroom.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Furnace guy just called. Suppose to be down here by noon. He must came over on the boat form Finland. Deep Finnish accent. I like listening to him esp when he says Yea.

·
♎ Mackinac Island Fanatic
28,958 Posts
Our furnace crapped out some years ago after putting up a good fight...ugh, how I hated waking up because I was so cold. :x It was such a relief to get a new one and not have to fight just to keep moderately warm every day. Careful with the space heater...we blew out the electricity in half our house using one back then. Still don't have it fixed. ;_;

The amount of snow we've been getting is slowly driving me insane. I used to snicker at people who complained about how much snow there is, until this year. Cripes, I don't remember mounds of snow this high since my childhood! :? I couldn't even bring myself to go put food in the bird feeder beside the house this morning, I'm just so sick of wallowing through that crap, they don't make boots tall enough! So the squirrels are probably hungry. :(

Furnace guy just called. Suppose to be down here by noon. He must came over on the boat form Finland. Deep Finnish accent. I like listening to him esp when he says Yea.
Heheh, or else a hardcore Yooper, ya, eh? :teeth

ETA: *notices your sig again*

:eek:ops
:lol
I swear I was not making fun of that.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once again the furnace is fix. I told the furnace guy to unhook the intake pipe from the furnace. There is a couple holes in the side of the furnace so the air can go into there. There is plenty of draft in my house so there is enough Oxygen. The efficiency will go down a bit, but having the guy to come over to get it to run cost more money then paying little extra on the gas bill. There will be no problem of sucking in snow that melts and drips onto the logic board burning it out

·
Super Moderator
34,596 Posts
Always have a secondary heat source. Last time our furnace went out it took the guy two days to come and fix it. (This was because my mother has some kind of insurance and didn't want to spend the money so she had to wait for the guy the company agreed to pay). I have one of those oil filled radiators. It doesn't heat the whole place but it puts out a surprising amount of heat for it's size. And it's reasonably safe.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Always have a secondary heat source. Last time our furnace went out it took the guy two days to come and fix it. (This was because my mother has some kind of insurance and didn't want to spend the money so she had to wait for the guy the company agreed to pay). I have one of those oil filled radiators. It doesn't heat the whole place but it puts out a surprising amount of heat for it's size. And it's reasonably safe.
I have one of those halogen light heater that is in a nice wood cab. It puts out good heat, also have couple of regular space heaters, and I have a couple of Kerosene wick heaters. They put out 23,000 BTU's each. You can even cook on the top of them if you take the wire grill off the top. I have boiled water to make oatmeal on one of them when I didn't have power.

·
Super Moderator
34,596 Posts
I have a couple of Kerosene wick heaters. They put out 23,000 BTU's each. You can even cook on the top of them if you take the wire grill off the top. I have boiled water to make oatmeal on one of them when I didn't have power.
I had a neighbor who used to use a kerosene heater when I was growing up. I used one for a while when I moved out of my parents house and couldn't afford normal heat but I always worried about the carbon monoxide thing. It's probably not a big deal as long as you have a good detector and you do everything just right but I've seen on the news where people died so it just freaks me out.

·
Registered
10,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You got to make sure you get the flame height correct too low it will be incomplete combustion which leads to Monoxide also flame height too high you will get soot. I have a Monoxide detector. I never probably go to sleep with it running. Luckily, I never had to use it for more then two hours at a time. I just burn synthetic kerosene. It doesn't smell as bad and also has a longer shelf life. The Kerosene you buy like from a gas station is now dyed red and this red dye gums the wicks up. I think Clinton did this to catch people using Kerosene in diesel ran vehicles. Kerosene isn't subject to highway tax like gasoline and diesel. Supposedly the cops can take some out of the tank to see if it is red. Like they would spend their time doing that.

·
Super Moderator
34,596 Posts
Luckily, I never had to use it for more then two hours at a time. I just burn synthetic kerosene. It doesn't smell as bad and also has a longer shelf life. The Kerosene you buy like from a gas station is now dyed red and this red dye gums the wicks up.
Actually, that's one of the more interesting aspects of kerosene heaters. The one I used that one time I mentioned, I had found it outside in many pieces scattered all over the back yard. It had probably been there for months but all the parts were there and none of them were ruined. Even the wick was fine once I let it dry out.

I put all these parts back together and it worked as good as new. The only thing that didn't work was the igniter and sometimes they don't even work on new heaters.

Anyway, the place we lived in was just terrible. It had missing windows and even holes in the walls. We just had to seal them up as best we could.

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
I used kerosene heaters for many years in Japan. They are really popular there because kerosene is so cheap. You don't have to mess with the flame or anything. It's all automatic (still have to plug it in and use a tiny amount of electricity) and it turns off automatically if it gets turned over or even if you kick it or bump into it lightly. Refilling the tank is sort of gross though.

I never opened the window but I did turn it off before sleeping.

Think I had to refill the tank once every 2 or 3 weeks. And had to go to the gas station once every 6-8 weeks to refill plastic thingy.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Notice house getting colder and noticed the furnace wasn't coming on. Checked it and the one of the lights was blinking. I then went outside scaled the snowbank and went around the house to check the pipes. Well a big snowdrift had buried both the pipes. I scooped the snow away and went back into the basement to reset the furnace. The stupid thing wouldn't fire. Checked the condensation line and it was clear of anything that would clog it. I then called the place that installed it. This is after hours call. I wish the stupid thing pulled this during the day. He told me to take off the top panel and it would get air and should fire. When I took off the top panel I found water laying on the bottom and also found water in the bottom part too. Well the intake must of sucked in snow. Well he had to put a new logic board in. It must of shortened out. This is the second time this winter it has been replaced. I had the furnace installed in '09 and never had trouble with this until this winter. The guy said that he didn't think it shorted out and the board is covered under warrenty. I wasn't going to argue with him. But provably going to be charged a fortune due to being after hours.
I am going to be facing something like this with my 2012 lawn mower this spring.

·
Super Moderator
34,596 Posts
I used kerosene heaters for many years in Japan. They are really popular there because kerosene is so cheap. You don't have to mess with the flame or anything. It's all automatic (still have to plug it in and use a tiny amount of electricity)
What was the electricity for? The ones I've seen were all completely kerosene. The only thing they needed was a couple of batteries for the igniter (But you can always use matches). Did it have a fan or something?

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
What was the electricity for? The ones I've seen were all completely kerosene. The only thing they needed was a couple of batteries for the igniter (But you can always use matches). Did it have a fan or something?
I guess to ignite it. I don't know. And it had different settings. Temperature and you could set it to turn on at a certain time. So I set it to turn on 45 minutes before I woke up.

I'm not sure if it had a fan but hot air did come out of it.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_sb...url=node=4082821&field-keywords=&rh=n:4082821

·
Super Moderator
34,596 Posts

·
Registered
28,013 Posts
Those look significantly more sophisticated than anything I've seen in the US and if they come on automatically, they probably do have some kind of reliable ignition system. Even the most expensive one I ever had only had an igniter that worked kind of like a car cigarette lighter, when it worked at all.
They aren't expensive though. Only like $100 and maybe I spent $20-40 a month on kerosene. They are powerful but it's not like central heating. Only heats up one room.

I guess they do have a fan....the name for all of them in Japanese is kerosene fan heater, LOL.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts