Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its a good movie but I don't understand the hype over it. Some claim its the best war movie ever made. I think its over rated.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I love how graphic it is. The character development is excellent as well. You enjoy watching all of them. I think the drill sergeant really makes the movie though, with his one liners. I thought it was one of the best war movies ive ever seen.

·
Registered
706 Posts
The first half of the movie is pretty genius. The second part is pretty forgettable, imo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i still have to cover my eyes on the part where they all beat Pyle in the middle of the night. it's quite brutal
but yeah there's loads of really funny quotes from that film

·
Banned
11,364 Posts
The first half of the film with the recruits at Paris Island is true genius.... R. Lee Ermey should have won Best Supporting Actor for his performance.
He was in the Marines for 11 years, and did 1.5 tours in Vietnam in real life....Even Louis Gosset Jr. who won a Best Supporting Actor for his portrayal of a Drill Instructor doesn't come close to Ermey's performance.....The way the Marines break down individuals during Basic, and basically program/brainwash them into becoming killers is chilling....
Seeing Gomer Pyle's descent into madness as he is tortured and abused by the world around him is mesmerizing....The film is darkly hilarious too, as many Kubrick films are....Ermey using Lee Harvey Oswald, and Charles Whitman as examples of "What one motivated Marine and his rifle can do"....."Anyone who runs is a VC, anyone who stands still is a well disciplined VC"...."How can you shoot woman and children? Easy! You just don't lead them so much...." "I wanted to be the first kid on my block, with a Confirmed Kill..." :lol

·
Registered
994 Posts
I LOVED the movie.............

Bull **** Il can't hear you. Sound off like you've got a pair!!!!

Show me your war face!!!!

Me so horn..............Buy me Honda...............

I was married to a Navy man!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts