Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate talking on the phone! Right now I'm avoiding calling one of the feww friends that I have,because the last time I talked with her I was totally awkward. It started out good. I even wrote down a few question i could ask before I called her to keep the conversation going. (Kind of pathetic right?) But 20 min. into the call I clammed up.So, I told her I had to go and ended the call. I just hate awkward silences over the phone.
Anyone else experience this??

(By the way she's a long time friend,but
lives in another state. I think thats
why it's so weird to talk on the phone with her.)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Yeah I hate the awkward phone silences. But hey, they can't think of anything to say either right? It even happens to me when I talk to my sister who is 5 years older and lives in another state. I just don't know what to talk about.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have never liked talking on the phone, but I definitely prefer it better than talking face to face. Like you mentioned, when talking on the phone you can write down questions to keep the conversation going. For me that is essential. I often have to write down exactly what I'm going to say, just so if my mind goes blank, I don't freak out. I never call people just to chit-chat, I only make phone calls when there's a purpose behind the call.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I am not a fan of talking over the phone. I too, like Miss T, need to have a solid purpose for making a call.

The problem with phone conversations is that it is really disorienting since you cannot read body language, which is an important component of face-to-face contact. Another negative for phones is that silences become awkward on the phone, whereas in face-to-face conversation there is no pressure to keep a constant stream of talking. Overall talking on the phone is a very unnatural mode of communication, hence the awkwardness associated with the medium.

Rese, 20 minutes is a long time to have a phone conversation, so instead of being stressed about that fact you should give yourself a good pat on the back. :) Next time I would suggest thinking of a good strategy for ending a phone conversation. I would imagine you would have an easier time on the phone when accepting its limitations and accepting you have done rather well, rather than poorly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts