Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hellllllo,

I'm not quite sure how I got to this point, but over the years I've slowly crept into the world of anxiety. In high school, I had swarms of friends. In my early years of college, I was categorized by people as "the most outgoing person they've ever met". Now, I prefer to be by myself. I can still be categorized as "outgoing", but inside I am saying "okay, let's go, let's get out of here"! It's all a show I put on. What happened to me?? Anyway, I hope this place can help give me some ideas on how to approve my SA.

By the way, how many only children are out there? I always thought perhaps being an only child contributed someway to my SA.

So now where do I go from here? Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!
Kelsey

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
Welcome KelsMcL. Hope you are able to find the help and support you need from this site to make progress against your SA! Not an only child myself either but as wisteria mentioned, I am sure there are lots here who can relate to you with that.

Enjoy your stay, and pop into chat if you like :p

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey Kelsey, welcome to :sas

·
Comfortably Numb
232 Posts
Hello KelsMcL,and welcome,I myself have 2 older sisters and an older brother,they don't have SA.So,to answer your question,I don't think being a only child has anything to do with SA.It probably is more complex then that,depending on the individual and their own personal life experiences.I myself am new to facing this demon for years I ignored it and tried to continue to function without any help.I decided,I don't want to live this way anymore and its time to fight.I hope the best for you in your fight,don't lose hope.This is just the beginning of things getting better for you.Bye,

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
73 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Also, in your post when you say that inside you feel like you want to get out of that social situation it could be an indication that you are also an introvert? Introverted (not to be confused with shyness) people can be outgoing, but feel drained from social situations and need some alone time to recharge. This is not a disorder, rather, but a personality trait.

I would think being an only child would contribute to SA too, but every "only child" I've met has been a super extrovert. I hear it has something more to do with a mixture of genes and life experiences.

You do know yourself best though, and I do hope you can overcome this!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey! Thanks for saying hello. I am most definitely an introvert. Known so forever, but am, as well, a SA sufferer. That's interesting about the only child thing. I always thought since I grew up by myself that I was never taught proper social skills.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, KelsMcL! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi KelsMcL,

I'm new here too. We're similar in that people see us and think we're outgoing, but inside we're thinking "when will this end?" But I have an older brother who is VERY social and outgoing, so there you go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to be THE MAN. Seriously, groups of friends, the guy everyone knows. If I did not want to go out I would have 10-11 of my friends pounding at my door saying they would not go anywhere with out me. Always with the pretty girl, blah blah. Now here I am. I really, REALLY, don't know what happened. And now I wish I just had one real friend.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
Hi Kelsey,

I hope for the best of you and the healing process. Mine is quite a ride and still is...

Warmly,
Gerard

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey i'm new here too and the same thing happened to me...i was the "popular girl" in school but the next year i just wanted to be by myself and each time a teacher asked me to read in class i would start to hyperventilate, tremble, sweat and i felt very dizzy and i felt like my heart was pumping very quickly almost hurting my chest. It's a horrible feeling and i ended up in depression, skipping classes every time i knew i had a presentation or something like that. Now i'm feeling much better tomorrow i'm starting classes in a new highschool in spain (i was in strasbourg before) and i hope it doesn't happen to me ever again.

But in this year of SA(a psychologist diagnosed me) i have seen who my real friends were and i started to get interested in maths and physics which i now love.

good luck kelsey and try to pull out something good about it like i am doing:)

(i'm sorry if my english isn't very good)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts