Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking back to my childhood and teenager years in the late 80's/early 90's and realised my views on how friendship should be was influenced by the following types of shows:

Saved by the Bell
California Dream
Beverly Hills 90210
Sweet Valley High

In all four shows, there are groups of people who are very different but end up forming close bonds. There is usually a geek or someone who is slightly different but they end up becoming part of the group and usually adored by the popular kids.

I think this is where I may have got my unrealistic view on friendships from. I think it also made me always chase that popular crowd even when I didn't feel welcomed into the group.

Just an interesting observation.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just chiming in to say YES! I always feel like there's something very wrong with me because I don't have a group of five friends that I do everything with. It was always the show FRIENDS that made me feel kind of jealous and lonely. I know those kinds of friend-groups exist, but surely not EVERYONE has that many close friends? I only have one!

·
c'est la vie
664 Posts
Like the O.C. the 4 main characters were pretty different yet they all managed to become the best of friends.

·
Raindrops on roses...
334 Posts
I always wanted to be part of a close group like in Friends,that would be a dream come true.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Yarrr... it's hard to know how realistic these kind of things are when you have no proper experience of real life friends.

You're not sure if you're missing out (well, we know it's never going to be quite as interesting as TV shows actually are of course) or if groups of friends aren't what we might imagine them to be...

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
My friendships were like that in High School. I was kind of the odd one out in the group. I always wished I'd have a group of friends like in Friends in my twenties, but nope.

·
Registered
530 Posts
In highschool I hung out with the "cool kids" because I chased coolness and somehow I got accepted into their group but I still was quiet and I'd never meet them outside school.

It became a horror story after highschool when in college I never managed to stick with any groups lol.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Television, I think, has caused more social confusion than anything in history. Sadly, what was intended to be a clearly fantastical portrayal has become to many folks an accurate depiction of what life should be like.

And if your life isn't anything like TV, then there's something wrong with you, right?

But the average person is hardly as attractive as the average actor. It's rare when someone can come up with a witty remark on the spot. And the great majority of people in the world live lives that are repetitive, uninteresting, and full of hardship and tragedy. Trying to emulate sitcoms is just a form of insanity.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I feel that way with F.R.I.E.N.D.S. but not so much with the The O.C. and I can't distinguish why.

I guess in The O.C. they weren't really close friends as most of them were off dealing with their own problems. Whereas in Friends they shared everything. And although some were closer to others they still love each other.

·
Banned
5,857 Posts
man, i was part of a close knitt group of kids when i was younger.... there was always 4 or 5 of us at the least roaming the apartments causing trouble... unfortunately everybody moved out around 9th grade... but we used to be exactly like one of the groups of friends you see on tv... fvck, u guys got me all nostalgic and **** now

·
Registered
492 Posts
I can relate, but are the views really that unrealistic? Because all my life I've been surrounded by at least four different groups of people who met and became the best of friends and still are friends to this day.

I was always trying to fit in with them (they weren't necessarily popular) to no avail.

I too have always wanted to be a part of a group of friends like the ones I've seen on tv/in real life. Or at the very least have one really close best friend.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Just chiming in to say YES! I always feel like there's something very wrong with me because I don't have a group of five friends that I do everything with. It was always the show FRIENDS that made me feel kind of jealous and lonely. I know those kinds of friend-groups exist, but surely not EVERYONE has that many close friends? I only have one!
Yeah just like Seinfeld and Frazier. Right now I have 2 close friends that I do everything with and talk to every day. Then my other friends who I see at other times. Actually the majority of people don't have a big posse like these tv shows tend to show. Talking to other people this is what I've noticed.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Television, I think, has caused more social confusion than anything in history. Sadly, what was intended to be a clearly fantastical portrayal has become to many folks an accurate depiction of what life should be like.

And if your life isn't anything like TV, then there's something wrong with you, right?

But the average person is hardly as attractive as the average actor. It's rare when someone can come up with a witty remark on the spot. And the great majority of people in the world live lives that are repetitive, uninteresting, and full of hardship and tragedy. Trying to emulate sitcoms is just a form of insanity.
Lol yeah in the tv shows every episode they always have some type of adventure and have a blast. Life isn't ever routine in the tv shows.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Agreed. The way most girls view love and want that fairytale ending that they see in movies -- that's how I feel about friendships. I could go without the fairytale love/romance, but I want that awesome group of friends that are seen in the television shows. Unrealistic expectations. :(

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
That's how the liberal media portrays it.

In real life, Slater would have locked Screech in a locker or janitor's closet. Jessie would be MEAN, and Kelly would be around - but pregnant with Zack's baby because she had never heard of safe sex. Mr. Belding would have been up in arms with the school board.

Brenda and Kelly would have ditched Donna because she was too much of a goody-goody (thanks to her daddy the Executive Producer!).

Dylan would have been too drugged to hang out with Brandon, unless he wanted to smoke, too. Steve would have been lecherous, and all three of them would have locked David in the janitor's closet with all the other Valley losers. Andrea got pregnant which ruined her college career (but she was 34 in real life anyway!) - her babydad would have dumped her to try and get up Donna's skirt.

Winkle would have weaseled all the California Dreams out of their money - talk about a nightmare!

Not to be outdone, the twins from Sweet Valley High would have become notorious for their three ways with the football team.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen - I graduated high school in 1993, the same year as Saved by the Bell and Beverly Hills, 90210. Good God, it's been twenty years already. :fall

·
waiting to bloom
8,863 Posts
omg yes I always wanted that circle of friends who go on incredible hijinks but still have emotional moments together. sigh.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I can relate, but are the views really that unrealistic? Because all my life I've been surrounded by at least four different groups of people who met and became the best of friends and still are friends to this day.

I was always trying to fit in with them (they weren't necessarily popular) to no avail.

I too have always wanted to be a part of a group of friends like the ones I've seen on tv/in real life. Or at the very least have one really close best friend.
I've been hearing a lot from people who mention going out with large groups and enjoying all sorts of hijinks. I feel like those groups totally exist, but it's just not as common (or as wacky) as sitcoms make it out to be. But man, I want to be involved in one of those. :p

Maybe an SAS wacky sitcom friend roadtrip is in order so we can all experience it?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I've been hearing a lot from people who mention going out with large groups and enjoying all sorts of hijinks. I feel like those groups totally exist, but it's just not as common (or as wacky) as sitcoms make it out to be. But man, I want to be involved in one of those. :p

Maybe an SAS wacky sitcom friend roadtrip is in order so we can all experience it?
They do exist definitely. I had one of these in high school though, **** SA lol, I still didn't feel completely comfy so I took them for granted. My cousins have a friend group like this that's tried to include me for awhile, but since it got tiring to fake feeling comfy when I'm around them, I basically avoided them and opted out.

Friends do exist. We just have to deal with our SA so we can enjoy and feel part of them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts