Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new here. I had no idea this website existed--I thought I was in this SA boat alone. But anyways, I need to vent before I breakdown.

I find that building friendships is really hard. All of my "friends" are just those who seem like all they want to do is laugh, text, have fun, and think about what they're going to say next. I always feel alone, even when I am around people. I've never had a true friend (or best friend). Someone that won't judge you, reject you, change perspective, or even leave you when the rough patches hit. A friend who accepts you for who you are. I'm that kind of person who knows what it's like to have that happen, and many times. It seems like I'm the only one who doesn't have a friendship that is like that. And because I've never had a good friendship like that, I keep all of my problems, feelings, emotions locked up. I've never opened up before to any of my friends, like even being vulnerable is a big struggle. I am so worried about being rejected and judged. I open up the little things like my relationships, personal work happenings, etc. to build trust up, but they don't trust me in return. But for some people, I'm like a tissue box for them. How can I build a "true friendship?" I try not to let SA get in the way at all, I am very secretive about it because I think people will change perspectives instantly.
Thanks for reading, my vent is over.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
I find that to be so very true, I know the feeling. I'm trying to learn how to enjoy my own company. Check my other forum post on this same section of the forum.

Any hobbies you have? Can you get a job? Work around the house? Schoolwork? reading? Exercising? Anything to keep your mind healthy and active.

I know I'm trying to find work. It will help me make money and give me a purpose to wake up each and every morning.

Even if I can't, if I make the most of each day, and be myself, even if its forced, it will make me feel tons better. Try it out.

Sometimes we have to force ourselves to do things we don't particularly care for. Its a part of life. I have been forcing a lot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, in my teens it was easy to make friends. It seems like standards of friendship goes up as age progresses. Its like it gets more difficult to make friends or go out and start a relationship as people get older. I have plenty of activities around and I try to socialize as much as possible. Seems like the meaning and value of friendship is deteriorating. That's my opinion though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts