Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Monday I am supposed to go see my friend's psychologist with her ( I can't go alone so she's coming wiht me). It was actually quite nice of the psychologist to suggest that I come talk to her. Anyways, what am I supposed to say for my first visit? Do you think I should say outright "Social Anxiety" or just tell her my symptoms or what? Do you think I should write them down/brin a printout of a SA test? Or is that too nerdy? Evem when i talk to my friend about my SA i feel like i am hijacking her time.

AARARAGH I'm ust freaking out a little at the prospect of telling someone about my SA without even knowing them! My stomache is hurting just hinking about it :( and apparently i can't typ when i am nervous.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
On Monday I am supposed to go see my friend's psychologist with her ( I can't go alone so she's coming wiht me). It was actually quite nice of the psychologist to suggest that I come talk to her. Anyways, what am I supposed to say for my first visit? Do you think I should say outright "Social Anxiety" or just tell her my symptoms or what? Do you think I should write them down/brin a printout of a SA test? Or is that too nerdy? Evem when i talk to my friend about my SA i feel like i am hijacking her time.

AARARAGH I'm ust freaking out a little at the prospect of telling someone about my SA without even knowing them! My stomache is hurting just hinking about it :( and apparently i can't typ when i am nervous.
Since social anxiety manifests itself differently in different people, it'd probably be best to talk about your symptoms, but it wouldn't hurt to use the label "social anxiety" if you're comfortable saying it outright.

You could bring a print out of the Liebowitz Social Anxiety Scale if you think that might help you more clearly articulate what you are experiencing:
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/disorder/liebowitz/

But remember, this is a trained professional, they are there to listen to you and help you.

Good luck! You should be very proud of yourself for taking this step. :)

Let me know if you have any questions. I've been to my fair share of therapists.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts