Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Leben ist verrückt!!!!
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having a conversation with an acquaintance at school and we were having lunch. She kept on annoying me by talking about how many friends she has and how she's being invited by all these "friends" of hers to parties. I just hate when people brag about having all these friends to make you feel bad. Obviously, it didnt work on me for some reason. I don't know whats going on with me but friends don't seem so important to me right now. I don't know if its just my depression talking, but friends seem overrated to me.

Why would I want to hang with people who dont really care about me. I dont know what it is, but my friendships never last after the semester is over. The friendship never grows and people don't seem to really want to be around me. I try to be friendly and stuff and invite them out but they make it clear that they only want to be "acquaintances".

I find myself not caring about having any social connections. I am so annoyed with others. Its like you try so hard to be friendly and people ignore you and they dont want to be your friend. I just don't make any connections anymore. I just think that people are not really worthed right now. They seem to make life more complex than it already is. I dont know, but what do you'll think? Do you think that people really make a difference in a person's life? I just think that having a lot of people around doesn't make life easy. To me, it starts a lot of unnecessary stress and drama. Being alone I think is not as bad as I use to think because I can do anything and I feel more freedom. I think that having true, quality people is better. I rather have one true friend over a lot of friends that I really dont know.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to vent. :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
[/QUOTE] .Being alone I think is not as bad as I use to think because I can do anything and I feel more freedom. I think that having true, quality people is better. I rather have one true friend over a lot of friends that I really dont know.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to vent. :)[/QUOTE]

I agree, but the person you are describing above sounds more like an acquaintance than a friend. Friend means something to us. Now with all this virtual friending, the original meaning should not be lost.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have very few true friends in my life. Those true friendships make it worthwhile, while mere acquaintances are not worth the hassle. Actually, when I look back I can count the number of real friends I have had on one hand. Sadly, they either moved away or we lost contact. I seem to remember one of them getting married, and then his life went on a different journey.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I can definitely relate to where you're coming from. It's like you finally get the nerve to keep conversation going, and you really WANT to make friends.. but other people don't seem to be interested. Some people are just harder to reach than others, but it's their loss. Not every person you start talking to is going to develop into a friend. I've had to go through tons of acquaintances until I made one "friend", and by that time I was feeling pretty washed out, but I guess it was worth it.
I have this one "friend" since middle school that's kind of like the acquaintance you first described. She's a bit awkward herself, although not exactly socially anxious. I feel like everything she does is a battle with me. Last year she was the only person I ever hung out with, but she never bothered to include me in conversations with other people. In fact, she went back and forth talking to me and others with this smirk on her face, and she knows how I have social anxiety because I told her on IM when we first met. She loved to sneak in a few lines about how her and her friends hung out over the weekend in the hot tub, and it was just sooo fun. So this year, I've stopped hanging around her as much because I realized I didn't need someone like that in my life. I still see her in this volunteer club we're both in, but that's the only time we really talk. Currently I'm trying to hang around a new "group" of people, although a lot of the time I find myself on the outside circle. There are some people within that group I'm closer to than others, for example a girl on my bus and a girl in two of my classes. But the thing is, they've all somewhat acknowledged me at one point, are genuine, and don't try to push me away. So (this turned out way longer than I expected) long story short, there are people out there who will try to include you, but it takes time to find out who they are and you do have to put in some effort to meet them halfway.

·
Terrifing. Like a chicken
41 Posts
I totally agree with you purplerainX3

There are people who'll be worthwhile to keep around. Give it a little time. There isn't any point worrying about bothersome aquiantances. When you're ready, and you really want it, I think it'll happen for you. It'll be worth the wait :)

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I think most people with loads and loads of friends most of the relationships revolve around drinking and or drugs, I wonder how many of them would still enjoy each others company so much if they all stayed sober the whole time. I hate all that, I would rather have true friendship aswell but its hard to find, even with friends I've had at school that I've known for a large part of my life have kinda drifted and when I occasionlly see them now its all about going out and getting drunk/stoned or whatever. It makes me sad because I miss how it used to be and its just not the same anymore

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.