Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's proven that people with long terms illnesses with Social Anxiety, Atypical Depression and OCD make a full recovery with the MAOI class of drug with no side effects.

Doctors and Psychiatrists are either completly ignorant to this class of drug, having never prescribed it or are scared because of over stated health risks due to some people take liberties with the restricted diet plan.

Forget the SRRI drugs like Prozac or the older Tricyclic used commonly if SRRI's are ineffective. MAOI's are the only drug class that can bring around a full recovery since it works on EVERY neurotransmitter in the brain, not just specific chemicals in the brain.

What does everyone else think? Do you agree that MAOI's need be first line treatment again?

Take my advice, pay to go see a Private Psychiatrist and get a drug like Parnate or Nardil prescribed for your medical needs. Drug treatment programs need not take years with needless trial and error when the most effective line of treatment is readily available for prescription under the right health professional.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
They might work, but me at least (and I'm sure a lot of other people), not being able to eat much good food (MAOI advocates claim it's easy to restrict your diet, but I eat loads of contraindicated foods), sexual side effects (not sure how bad they are compared to SSRIs, but they definitely exist from what I've read) and not being able to take most recreational substances is pretty depressing.

I would never, ever consider taking them myself unless I was forced to. I couldn't live on something that restricts my lifestyle so much. I'm gonna keep chasing that elusive Dexedrine prescription and stay as far away from so called "anti-depressants" as possible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was on Parnate for several years. I still had SA but it did help a lot. I ate almost everything that you're not supposed to and I never had any problems. There is nothing to be afraid of IMO.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
I was on Parnate for several years. I still had SA but it did help a lot. I ate almost everything that you're not supposed to and I never had any problems. There is nothing to be afraid of IMO.
I hear this quite a lot, but I also hear people complaining of problems eating the tiniest amounts of restricted foods. Also, you can forget about ever doing any stimulants/MDMA/mescaline/etc on an MAOI, unless the prospect of an incredibly unpleasant death sounds appealing.

If people are happy with those restrictions and are happy to take MAOIs, more power to them.

·
Spectacular Member
21,089 Posts
The only MAOI I was ever offered was Manerix, and that drug sucks. I can't take Nardil/Parnate with the drugs I'm on anyways.

·
Guided By Voices
2,396 Posts
Why did you stop? Did your SAD go into total remission or was there another raeson?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I've been on both Nardil and Parnate. I never followed the food restrictions, but I don't eat too bad to begin with. One of the beers I love to drink is Guinness. That is supposed to be a no-no, but nothing happened. I just didn't like the insomnia side effect I got while I was on them.

Never ever try to take Codeine while on this though. I had to drink the syrup since I was sick. I never want to experience a hypertensive episode again.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I've been on both Nardil and Parnate. I never followed the food restrictions, but I don't eat too bad to begin with. One of the beers I love to drink is Guinness. That is supposed to be a no-no, but nothing happened. I just didn't like the insomnia side effect I got while I was on them.

Never ever try to take Codeine while on this though. I had to drink the syrup since I was sick. I never want to experience a hypertensive episode again.
Even though you stopped taking them, did they help you for SA?

·
Registered
813 Posts
I disagree with OP. SSRI's only worsen things for many people, but same can be said for MAOI's. Plus the latter have more serious adverse effects in general, given you don't follow the directions carefully.

·
:/
957 Posts
I'm probably going to try a MAOI in a month or two. I've tried a lot of other different meds, and haven't found one that works well. Only Adderall,what I'm currently taking, and Klonopin have helped me somewhat. Since I can't take Adderall with a MAOI, I'm concerned that I'll be too tired/sleepy during the day. Also, MAOIs make some people gain weight. :/

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your posts guys. Good luck redtogo72, you're making the right choice.

Just elaborate a bit more on my OP, I live in the UK and paid £200 to go see a Private Psychiatrist in London. He, along with my GP, agreed the MAOI's were the most effective class of drugs for anxiety, ocd and atypical depression related illnesses. The Pyschiatrist has given my doctor full clearance to try any MAOI I wish to try.

We are trying Moclobemide for 6 weeks and then if that is unsuccessful, next on the list is Tranylcypromine aka Parnate.

I realise a lot of you live in the United States where access to these types of drugs are limited and you have to pay for all your prescriptions. Over in the UK, we get all our drugs free on the NHS.

Regardless of where you live, if there is a drug you want to try and no one wants to give it to you, pay to go and see a top Pyschiatrist. They will listen and give you their proper expertise. Come over to London if you have the money :)

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
Moclobemide is garbage, go for parnate or nardil!!!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice crayzyMed! I have every intention to take Parnate but will give Moclobemide a chance just to please the Doctor and Psychiatrist. It's a relationship based around trust and I want to prove I am responsible enough to handle Parnate since it's next on our list.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Why did you stop? Did your SAD go into total remission or was there another raeson?
I was taking Parnate and also Zeldox. I stopped because while it helped me face more social situations, I still had social anxiety and everything in life sort of became dullsville. I really didn't enjoy anything anymore-just going through the motions. I will consider asking my doctor to switch me back or over to Nardil if my Cipralex doesn't kick in soon.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I was taking Parnate and also Zeldox. I stopped because while it helped me face more social situations, I still had social anxiety and everything in life sort of became dullsville. I really didn't enjoy anything anymore-just going through the motions. I will consider asking my doctor to switch me back or over to Nardil if my Cipralex doesn't kick in soon.
I would blame this more on Zeldox, anti-psychotics are evil.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Pure MAOI's are probably only useful as an augmentation strategy. Luckily, both Nardil and Parnate are not pure MAOI's and have more useful effects.

·
Banned
217 Posts
It's proven that people with long terms illnesses with Social Anxiety, Atypical Depression and OCD make a full recovery with the MAOI class of drug with no side effects.

MAOI's are the only drug class that can bring around a full recovery since it works on EVERY neurotransmitter in the brain, not just specific chemicals in the brain.
Hey Area88, I'm with you that MAOIs are perhaps the most powerful potential treatment for SA (and depression). However, the portions I've boldened above I disagree with. Other drugs can bring about recovery just as well. I personally had amazing success on Klonopin+Paxil, and had really good success on Paxil alone. YMMV.

In addition, be aware that MAOIs generally have the worse side effect profile of any meds commonly used against SA. I've taken SSRIs, benzos, MAOIs including Parnate & Nardil, etc. Side effects from MAOIs were INTENSE. Yes, many of these diminish over time for most people. But, you're going to feel it for awhile. Some don't go away, at least not entirely.

MAOIs may be more sustainable than other classes of medication. You don't hear too many stories of MAOI poop-out (except for when Nardil was reformulated), but then again not too many people take MAOIs in the first place. Personally, I'm very curious about mild MAOIs including naturally occuring MAOIs and whether these can be taken sustainably long-term to provide a neurotransmitter boost. Rhodiola Rosea, I'm looking at you. I just started Rhodiola and it's all that I'm on right now, so we'll see...

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.