Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Foreign Tongues?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What foreign languages do you: speak and write or have spoken and written?

List 'em!

:doh forgot to add mine, hence the edit.

Used to be fluent in French, but doubtless have forgotten most of it; although would like to pick it up again. Exposed to German (heh.) Started to learn Dutch.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Bilingual. English is not my native tongue. My spoken English actually sucks because I have no chances to practice it, so I can't utter a whole sentence without stuttering and mixing words and tenses. :(
Although I think I'm kind of good with written English. Comes with a lot of reading. Wierd, uh.

·
Super Beaver
8,033 Posts
English of course and a lil spanish.. enough to get the gist of what customers are asking. I'm working on learning cebuano right now but I'm bad when it comes to learning languages :)

·
Registered
415 Posts
ooh, I'm a hobby linguist!

Most of the hard studying I put towards learning languages over the years has dwindled away to just a basic understanding of Spanish, Italian, German and Turkish. Arabic (Masri) which is what I'm best at currently.

French & Dutch are two languages I'd love to master!

I really need to immerse myself in a culture for the language to really stick and not fade after 6 months like the others have.

*Goes back to daydreaming of travel

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm not good with languages. I know some Finnish, but I'm nowhere near being a fluent speaker! I took 4 years of French in school and I suck at it.

On the other hand, my smarty pants husband can speak fluent English, Finnish, Swedish, and German. He can also read and understand Norwegian and Danish, but he doesn't fluently speak them. Oh yeah, he also knows quite a bit of Estonian! What a freak, eh?! Hehehe I like smart men.

·
4,175 Posts
I only know one. After taking French, Japanese, and Spanish throughout high school and some college, I realized I should have taken German all along. Now I don't care about learning any more languages. All I need is English.

·
Registered
96 Posts
penguin said:
What foreign languages do you: speak and write or have spoken and written?

List 'em!
Dutch (native language)
Limburgian (local dialect, but it is actually accepted as a language)
English
German (read and passable speaking, writing requires effort)
French (reading only, speaking only a little bit)
And I have (or had, it's been a while) enough knowledge of Latin and Old Greek to translate simple texts. (Latin is really useful for learning Romance languages, I can actually understand a lot of Spanish and Italian words just because of my knowledge of Latin

Used to be fluent in French, but doubtless have forgotten most of it; although would like to pick it up again. Exposed to German (heh.) Started to learn Dutch.
Veel succes. Dat zul je wel nodig hebben. Nederlands is volgens mij niet de meest gemakkelijke taal om te leren. (Although, aside from Frisian, it's the language that's most akin to English.)

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm also bilingual, I can speak and write in spanish and english.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fly,

I've heard the same thing from friends who have studied Latin.

z.e.

"other" might also include: sign language, for example? Something not ordinarily thought of as "foreign" in the context used here, but it is still a language. Also, we tend to think of languages quite stereotypically, and these have popped up in the vote so far. But, someone might have studied a dead language, or an African click dialect. You never know...

I chose "other" because I could not claim I was fluent in the languages that have crossed my path.

·
You can do this!
4,464 Posts
My native language is English.

I'm fluent in Spanish, although I don't have native proficiency in it.

I took a year of Latin and am able to read some Latin texts (mostly by carryover from Spanish), but not write it nor can I speak it.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Native language is english. I took french and spainish in highschool, and spainish in college, so I know a bit from those two languages. I also know some arabic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i love languages more than almost anything. at least i used to. i haven't really spoken any in a few years but i know russian and spanish. also a little french and german though i am probably out of practice with these. i find languages so beautiful and interesting in their structures and differences. if i had the social confidence to speak them around others i would certainly have a career in the language field.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Aside from English, I am fluent in two other languages - Welsh and Hebrew (strange mix, I know). When I say fluent, I mean I can say pretty much anything I want, can follow TV and radio programmes, and read books and newspapers. The Hebrew comes from me spending about 7 years living in Israel back in the 1980s (where I also went to university for my diploma in librarianship).
At home I generally listen to the Welsh-language radio station, and normally watch some Welsh-language TV programmes most evenings (via a digital satellite dish).
I can also read French quite well, but have never managed to actually speak it, or understand it when people are speaking to me.
I can speak a little Spanish, and can manage my way around Spain without too many problems.
I enjoy languages, but I find that learning a language is much harder when you have SA - you need to practice with actual speakers of the language, and it can be anxiety-provoking at first.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I took 2 years of Spanish in high school, but it was never easy for me. I still want to learn, so I might sign up for a class at the local community college. It should be a good excuse to get out and talk to people. I think I'll try the introductory class.

I tried taking a Chinese class and boy was I in over my head. After one class, I was already so far behind that I just dropped it.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts