Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GottaBreakThrough
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...Mission Accomplished!

I dreaded the entire event, I knew it would lead to a near panic attack but I was forced to drive outside of my comfort zone to accomplish 3 critical objectives that could no longer wait. Divorce will do that to you, nothing will ever be the same, it's all different now. While I look forward to a brighter future I would have to do the unthinkable first. Survive this process and worst yet face the fear as I have no other choice, no choice at all.

One by one I had to drive to each destination and it was dreadful. But I had to follow all the advice I was reading.

1) At one point I missed a key turn and got lost. Panic and anxiety ensue, I stop and say "OK it's a feeling why do I feel this?, I'm lost that's why, just turn around, no I can't I'm on the freeway, OMG I'm trapped forced to go at high speed and in only one direction. Ok I will accept that it's dreadful and I will allow myself to feel this but I have to do something. Damage control get off nearest exit and turn around, I made it barely!

2) I haven't done any grocery shopping since I was 19 and couldn't find my way around the store to save my life but I had no choice, it had to be done. People are going to be looking at what kind of idiot I am in that I don't know what the hell I'm doing. "But you have other qualities, are brilliant in financials so who cares if you suck at this. I doubt they are really paying attention to you anyway, most are getting items of their own and moving on.

I think this might actually cure me if I can keep it up that is. I have to keep forcing myself out of the zone of comfort and understand that yeah it's going to cause that panicky must escape find nearest exit feeling but I have to do it. Wish me continued luck all.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That was very inspirational to read! I'm hoping I can have your same bravery in some of my upcoming stressful events. I like your thinking strategy about 'who cares if I suck at this, I'm great at other things.' I never thought to tell myself that, but it's very empowering.

·
GottaBreakThrough
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was very inspirational to read! I'm hoping I can have your same bravery in some of my upcoming stressful events. I like your thinking strategy about 'who cares if I suck at this, I'm great at other things.' I never thought to tell myself that, but it's very empowering.
Thanks for the encouragement, wish me luck next week as I have to drive even further to go to one of those mandatory "caught in the middle" classes.

If we only focus on the negative we get caught up in a self defeating spiral. After falling into that line of thinking countless times I finally found the way out. Imagine for a moment that you no longer existed, then look to those that are left without you, what would things be like for them going forward? When I did this I saw something I never actually realized before. I had a vital role to play both at work and at home and if I were not here and in control of that which I am skilled at I lot of things really would fall apart.

So I will continue to suck at the grocery shopping and that's fine by me. At least I get access to all those free tasty sample dishes in every isle I get lost in :)

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Hey guys...Mission Accomplished!

I dreaded the entire event, I knew it would lead to a near panic attack but I was forced to drive outside of my comfort zone to accomplish 3 critical objectives that could no longer wait. Divorce will do that to you, nothing will ever be the same, it's all different now. While I look forward to a brighter future I would have to do the unthinkable first. Survive this process and worst yet face the fear as I have no other choice, no choice at all.

One by one I had to drive to each destination and it was dreadful. But I had to follow all the advice I was reading.

1) At one point I missed a key turn and got lost. Panic and anxiety ensue, I stop and say "OK it's a feeling why do I feel this?, I'm lost that's why, just turn around, no I can't I'm on the freeway, OMG I'm trapped forced to go at high speed and in only one direction. Ok I will accept that it's dreadful and I will allow myself to feel this but I have to do something. Damage control get off nearest exit and turn around, I made it barely!

2) I haven't done any grocery shopping since I was 19 and couldn't find my way around the store to save my life but I had no choice, it had to be done. People are going to be looking at what kind of idiot I am in that I don't know what the hell I'm doing. "But you have other qualities, are brilliant in financials so who cares if you suck at this. I doubt they are really paying attention to you anyway, most are getting items of their own and moving on.

I think this might actually cure me if I can keep it up that is. I have to keep forcing myself out of the zone of comfort and understand that yeah it's going to cause that panicky must escape find nearest exit feeling but I have to do it. Wish me continued luck all.
That's really the way to do it. :) It may have some minor setbacks at times, Just press through them!

Well done! :boogie :boogie :boogie

·
Registered
119 Posts
I agree. Its empowering to say ok I am good at this even if I am not at this particular thing. The thing is by facing it, you will get more comfortable with it, and gain experience, then it won' t seem so threatening. Great job! :) People in the grocery got their minds on their lists and things.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Awesome job man!!!:) I understand how hard it can be to jump out of that comfort zone and that's great you were able too! Good Luck on the rest of your adventures!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts