Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lettered for varsity for the swim team as a freshman (I am now a sophomore), and tomorrow morning I have my induction ceremony. I'd be fine if it was a simple recognition. But we were told to wear crazy outfits to school. And then we have to run relays where we spin in circles and fall over with all the current varsity club members pointing and laughing. If that wasn't bad enough, they make us sing our alma mater by ourselves if we lose, or with 2 or 3 people if our relay wins. I am so anxious about this. I think everyone will remember me humiliating myself, but I really want to be a part of varsity club. What would you guys do in this situation to calm yourself down or reassure yourself?

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
That sounds like fun. It's never as bad as I think it's going to be. The butterflies flutter away as I am in the mix and it is all happening. Focus on your ultimate goal of being a part of the varsity club and just keep it in your mind as you are required to do difficult things. That's what I would do.

·
Banned
850 Posts
id say while youre doing the relays and if you have to sing alone or with other people start laughing. trust me you will look good if youre laughing away like you just dont give a ****.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Maybe shared humiliating will bring you and the other inductees closer together??
Remember, this is not something you have to do alone- you're with a group, and a group came before you, and a group came before them- just one link in a long chain of humiliation....

·
Registered
51 Posts
i would not be worried if i were together with others that were also being humiliated, that would bring the attention of me and to the group itself

1 - 5 of 5 Posts