Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
I worked at Starbucks for a long time, but my SA only really started to present towards the end. After that I had a job as a bartender at a golf club. That didn't was very long.
I think you can really do any job so long as you shoulder down and get through the first part. After you become comfortable and your brain acknowledges that it's non-threatening, you'll loosen up I think. Then you'll kind have the home court advantage. As it stands it's just a theory, as I can't get past the submitting resume/job interview part.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I've worked in busy stores helping people and working the register. I also worked front desk at a busy hotel for a while. Although I still get anxious sometimes, I actually like these kinds of jobs, now that Paxil has knocked out the extreme anxiety/panic attacks.

·
Banned
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have very sever social anxiety, and I worked as a salesman. Quota and everything. :)

What job are you thinking of applying for?
Not sure. I'm looking for something to do for a year or less until the economy comes back. I'm an out of work architect at the moment. I have to deal with clients in this field regularly, but not the general public.

To me, the general public seems scarier for some reason, depending on the job.

I've been depressed over my situation, but I'm trying to see a silver lining in this. Perhaps this is an opportunity in my life to try a job that requires me to be even more outgoing. Which I know would be a priceless experience, even though I won't get paid what I'm used to.

I know rental car companies will take people with a bachelors in any field, but the thought of dealing with the general public so much is intimidating to say the least.

I guess that's why I posted, I'm hoping there are some people around here who have faced their fears and made it work.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
This new job I have providing travel services to a bunch of bureaucratic lawyers......is a nightmare. Hopefully it gets better once I become comfortable with the environment and how things operate. This job doesn't play in to any of my strengths and magnifies all my weaknesses.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I worked at RadioShack when I was in high school. I had SA back then, but I guess it wasn't as severe as it is now. I have a hard time just going into stores now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well I'm only 17 so my resume isn't that great but i have worked at a grocery store lol. I'm trying to gather the courage to apply at this restaurant with the hope of becoming a waiter. It'll be uncomfortable at first but that's exactly why i'm doing it. I need to leave my comfort zone more often. I think most of us here have to work on that...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know rental car companies will take people with a bachelors in any field, but the thought of dealing with the general public so much is intimidating to say the least.
It's hard for me to explain what it was like trying to get over sever SA and act like a charismatic salesperson. I think it's different for everyone, but after time and effort, you'll realize sometimes there's a horrible customer, but other times there's a REALLY amazing one, too. The majority of people seem to just want to get in and get out, maybe buying something in the process, possibly not.

There were only a small number of times where my fear of the public actually matched my expectations, and even then, it wasn't so bad in retrospect. You'll naturally adapt to the environment, get into the swing of things, and you'll do just fine. I eventually quit the job due to other factors, but when I was adjusted to dealing with the general public, it felt really liberating. I was normal for a while :boogie

·
Registered
493 Posts
My only real long term job is as a sales associate which I currently do now. I never thought I could survive in a job like that and I've had many horrible moments.

I hate it there, but every now and then I am able to dodge socially stressful situations. I still have some serious SA, but I am proud of myself for sticking it out at this job. A customer actually told me I was perky one time (wow, that's funny coz I'm drier than week old bread with sawdust sprinkles).

It is also a great ego booster to get compliments from people for doing your job right/being nice. Retail sucks, but I seriously recommend this as a starter job for anyone who has SA.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I worked as a saleswoman, where I made in-home appointments with people and tried to sell them my product. It was actually terrifying to me. I had to call people at their homes, convince them to set up an appointment, and then meet with them one on one in their homes. I had a script, but many times people would make a side comment that I couldn't just ignore, because that would be rude, so I had to do my best to think on my feet and aknowledge their comment and respond to it. Sometimes they made jokes, and I would have to joke back the best I could. It was hard, but I did it! And it made me feel that much better about myself!
Also, right now, I'm working at a catering company. I have to work within a close group of people setting up, serving, and clearing tables. Often people will make side comments about the food or ask questions or make a joke, and I have to answer their questions, and respond to their jokes and comments, especially since we usually serve to people high in authority. Plus, I'm around people all the time. If it's not a customer trying to talk to me, it's a fellow employee. I just give it the best I got, and sometimes I don't do so good, and other times I do! It all depends on how motivated I am, but I know I have it in me to make it work! And the better I do, the better I feel about myself!

·
Extreme Racing Driver
39 Posts
Door to Door sales for 2 months. Customer Service for a few years eventually leading up to covering breaks for cashiers.

·
Registered
165 Posts
PS I also agree that everyone with SA should get a job that's going to take them a little out of their comfort zone- that's the only way (and a very good way) to really make improvement on you SA!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I worked in big convention centers where i had to greet people from out of town, show and give them directions,which i'm not get at all...so i would ask my co-workers,to help them out with the directions....i actually like working at the covention centers...you had to greet meet and smile at people...

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
working in a warehouse. That's the only job I've had

·
Registered
43 Posts
I service & sell insurance. I suck at selling it. Having to make ''cold calls" and marketing...it's really horrible, but I do it. I think my boss feels sorry for me. Thank god I don't work on commission, or I'd probably be unemployed right now. The servicing part is not so bad. I also have to attend continuing education classes to keep my license. Not fond of those at all.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts