Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never realized how bad it is until I had a year of rest without responsibilities. Having to go somewhere, do something at a specific time. Back then it was school. Now it's my job. It interferes with my life so much; it feels as if I can never relax. Things I used to enjoy doing I find no longer enjoyable because randomly my thoughts will go into "in 4 hours I have to get ready for work", or "I have 2 days to relax... but in two days... I have to work again", or "I have to go to sleep in 4 hours or else", or "I need 2 hours to prep time before to dress up, etc. for work", and so on.

Can anyone relate? How do you cope?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have generalized anxiety but I can't say I relate to your exact situation because I only work part time and don't go to school at the moment. However, I've often imagined that it would be like that when I get to that point in my life. And I'm really dreading it because anxiety does this thing where it turns your thoughts into obsessions almost (OCD?) and since work and responsibility-related things make me more and more nervous, I will obsess over it every single day much like you described. And I mean, every little thing. So if I'm relaxing at home, I'm not really even relaxing, I'm thinking about the next time I go to work. I know this post isn't helpful but I still wanted to say that I can relate even if I'm not going through the same thing (yet).

·
Registered
270 Posts
My obsession with time and routine really screws me over. I have to work pretty hard to have a good time. I also have a strict schedule 6 days a week.. I have to force myself to do fun things because I can talk myself out of just about anything and I'll end up never counter-acting the stress. I suppose it's about balance until you can get your anxiety under "control."

·
Registered
338 Posts
Not that I'm recommending this, but I take Paxil and it hasn't helped with anything else but it's helped with my anxiety. I also take Ativan sometimes.

·
computer says no
605 Posts
during an overload moment i try and find as many different colours in the room or i find a single colour and as many different object with the same colour. this is called emotional grounding.

·
La Vie En Rose
1,673 Posts
I cope by thinking what I want to do for the weekend. I make a checklist but usually only manage to complete a couple of things and waste my time too much but I try to not beat myself over it because no good comes out of that. I suppose slow progress is still progress. I deal with work by being excited for my paycheque.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Yes, that definitely sounds familiar. I make sure I have something to do during those "rest" periods--something I enjoy doing, and can look forward to. If I'm just sitting there lazing around and half-heartedly watching a TV show, my mind will inevitably turn toward those thoughts you described "Oh god, I have to start getting ready in 3 hours." How could you ever expect to enjoy your downtime if you're always worrying about the next thing you need to do? You can't, simply. So instead, I plan a little activity or something. It keeps my mind away from those thoughts, and when it is actually time for me to get ready for work or something, I can feel like I actually used my rest time. I did something I wanted to do and don't need to feel bad about doing nothing.

Also, Celexa and therapy has helped me tremendously.

·
computer says no
605 Posts
I use push ups / running / swimming

I can work the stress out of my life to where I'm so tired trivial thoughts dont enter my head.

·
SAS Member
13,225 Posts
I try to find a solution to the problem, find something positive/productive to focus on, block worrying thoughts out (or at least tell myself I can think about it later when I have time)/literally keep telling my "negative" inner voice to "shut up," force myself to stop caring w/ sheer determination (I remind myself of the things I really need to spend time/energy caring about), ride out the anxiety, tell myself that things will probably work out (and if they don't the way that I EXPECT them to, I tell myself that I'll get through whatever issue I'm faced w/), identify & avoid triggers, PLAN more efficiently/for disaster, try to remind myself that excessive dwelling/worrying only leads to a dead end, de-clutter & organize some area of my life, write out thoughts/set aside time to think through thoughts, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts