Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering, for those who had moderate to severe acne in adolesence, and who picked their pimples often, are any of you guys left with permanent scars?

For some reason, I just cannot get my hands off my face. I am such an impulsive, touchy, fidgety person, and this is why I pop my zits. I am afraid that I will end up with permanent scars though, because I do care about my appearance. It's just that I can't resist! WTF is wrong with me, I can't keep my fingers off my face!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Some have left very ugly pits on my face while some scars just disappeared. I make sure to clean the area with antiseptics if I do pop one.

My cheekbone area has become badly pitted and also has new ones popping out. Funny I never had this problem as an adolescent!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I don't have acne, but i have blemishes sometimes, i use Clearasil Persa Gel and they vanish really fast, great for acne/oily skin. You're just going to have to NOT touch your face, i use to have those impulses now, i guess my hands are too busy on the keyboards now to touch my face too much to break out again.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
My dad popped his alot. He now has little craters all over his face and doesnt have acne anymore. I wouldnt pick them. Get some of that proactive and try it. It doesnt work for everyone but if it does work you will be happy.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
My acne has been really bad lately, worse it's ever been. If yours is really bad you should visit a dermotologist, they can tell you exactly what you should use on your skin (my brother went a couple years ago and got rid of all his acne. I'm not sure what he used though..).

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
You could look into Benzoyl Peroxide for acne treatment. I believe it is avaiable OTC. Infact, I think that is what that proactive stuff on TV has in it. And i'm sure if you can find benzoyl peroxide in generic form it'd be much cheaper than buying named brand stuff.

Anyway..don't pick at acne, it is no good for your skin. Instead practice good hygiene, or, if it is severe you could go see a dermatologist.

·
SAS Veteran
1,841 Posts
Don't pick too much or you will get scars. I picked at some of mine and I have few red marks that never go away. I think I have a few scars but they are not bad. I guess it can be worse with males. Don't know but probably equal with females. I had moderate acne. And I still get it mildly from time to time.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Anxiety28 said:
Don't pick too much or you will get scars. I picked at some of mine and I have few red marks that never go away. I think I have a few scars but they are not bad. I guess it can be worse with males. Don't know but probably equal with females. I had moderate acne. And I still get it mildly from time to time.
red marks: for some reason i had to mess with tiiiiny blackheads on my nose today. Barely noticable except way up close to a mirror. 2 hours later, i walk by a mirror, and the tip of my nose has red, almost bruiselike, marks.
Very noticable from afar, now i dont want to go out until wednesday when theyll be gone. Im trying to learn to leave well enough alone.

For people with bad acne (large areas, pimples) i would definitely recomend that Pro-active. I never had really bad acne besides one year, i believe 10th grade, but someone i know did, and they used it. It cleared their problem up very nicely, and made a noticable difference in only a few days.

Plus, ever see the comemrcial they have.... Puffy (Diddy for the younger crowd) used it, and look at him now, hes rich! :lol

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I did that and I am not aware of any scars. Years ago I noticed a hard substance in my earlobe, started squeezing it, and have had an on and off swollen earlobe the past two years or so. At one point I started stabbing it with thin sharp objects, so my ear looks pierced. Yes, now SAS knows everything about me. It's true, though. I don't know why I do it. I feel embarassed by it now. I do it everyday now, maybe because I've been feeling more frustrated and it's a way for me to vent. So, yeah, don't pick at your face, or ear. It's bad.

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Pro-activ dried my face like all get out, and they kept sending me refills when I still had plenty left from my last batch! Clear skin club? *raspberries*
$40/month, too - good grief!

I am worried about my face some. I had moderate acne as well, but I am afraid that the pores, while they look okay now at 30, just may not look so nice at 40. blech!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Yea, your skin adapts to proactive after some time, and your skin either gets
A) dried out, or
B) compensates for lack of oil (since the proactive gets rid of it) and produces oil at a double-rate as you adapt to having no oil on your face.
Both are avoided by not using the stuff daily. I would say use it for a month daily, to clear up signifigantly. Then after that, skip a day so your skin doesnt adapt to it.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Anyone!!!! Girls?!!!!!!:
Whats good to use for blackheads. I dont have acne-acne (pimples,blemishes) but my forehead and nose have tooo many blackheads (already there, plus new ones forming daily)

Is there a good product that will break them down? I cant keep squeezing them away, cause then you have blotches all over for days.

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
the most important thing you can do is see a doctor.

all of you youngsters should run to the doctor whenever you first start seeing signs of significant acne.

dont make the same mistake i made. i have to live with severe scarring for the rest of my life, in large part because i didnt seek medical attention.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Fortunately I never ended up with pits on my face, when I was a teenager omg I picked my zits nonstop and they constantly bled. I think I am pretty lucky that I didn't end up with pits on my face. I have a couple "regular" scars on my forehand near my hairline from bleeding zits, but I can cover it up with makeup since it's not that bad.

But ya I have to agree with whoever said scratching at your face will just make things worse. It always did for me, and once I'd try to quit scratching my face would clear up.

Another problem I have is that I have really dry skin and I've been told by a dermatologist that having such dry skin doesn't help either, so I always have to make a point to put lotion on my face every day ... supposedly dry skin isn't good for my complexion either, can't remember the reason behind it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts