Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Banned
1,230 Posts
Take the inheritance and live on less expenses.

If that wasn't an option, join the military or become homeless.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think about this all the time. My parents are reaching retirement age, and several relatives have died recently. If that doesn't make you stop and take a look at your life I don't know what will (as if I didn't do that enough already...)

I don't know what I'll do! I feel like a pathetic excuse for a human being. I wish I could say that I'd be self-reliant and I'd pull myself together and get my own place and my own job, but right now I don't feel like that would be true. I can barely get myself out of bed. I've tried. I don't have the will to do anything. Maybe I've just been depressed lately. Hopefully I will surprise myself if it ever comes to that.

Anyway, that's a major issue for me. My mom always asks me what I'm going to do without them. Every time I get in a fight with them they tell me to move out, they want me out of the house before they get home from work, "Go on welfare I don't care. You are pathetic." Then I just want to die in my sleep. I wish things were different and that I could move out tomorrow. I feel really stuck.

·
In Repair
196 Posts
Anyway, that's a major issue for me. My mom always asks me what I'm going to do without them. Every time I get in a fight with them they tell me to move out, they want me out of the house before they get home from work, "Go on welfare I don't care. You are pathetic." Then I just want to die in my sleep. I wish things were different and that I could move out tomorrow. I feel really stuck.
It's the same with my parents. I would be completely lost without them. They have no idea about my SA...they think I don't have a job because I'm lazy, which is not the case at all. I'd love a job, but the interviews are torture and I'm always so nervous that the employers seem a little scared of me. I just don't have the energy to go through it anymore. My parents love me a lot, but they are always angry and frustrated with me and now they threaten to kick me out on a weekly basis. The whole situation is torture, and I feel awful about what I'm doing to them, but it's like there's just no way out of it.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
One has already poofed and hasn't made much impact on me.
As for the other one, I guess I'd be sad, plus, she helps with a lot of stuff if I bug her enough, so I'd have to learn to do some stuff completely on my own.

·
Banned
293 Posts
I'd be a wreck, for sure. I'd probably try to go live with relatives or... I dunno what else. The idea is terrifying.

Sometimes my parents get frustrated with me not being able to get a job or go to college, but they're patient. I feel so bad though; like such a failure.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,711 Posts
Id go on disability.

·
In hiding
1,455 Posts
It's the same with my parents. I would be completely lost without them. They have no idea about my SA...they think I don't have a job because I'm lazy, which is not the case at all. I'd love a job, but the interviews are torture and I'm always so nervous that the employers seem a little scared of me. I just don't have the energy to go through it anymore. My parents love me a lot, but they are always angry and frustrated with me and now they threaten to kick me out on a weekly basis. The whole situation is torture, and I feel awful about what I'm doing to them, but it's like there's just no way out of it.
You've just described me. I don't get threats about having to move out, but everyone thinks I'm lazy. Just today my mum was telling me about a job I could apply for. I'm pretty okay when she suggests jobs where you don't have to deal with people as much, but this one was in a shop so I went all quiet. Then later she was saying something about some unrelated thing and my response sounded kind of *****y so she snapped at me, "What's up your butt? I found you a job! Everyone has to work! I have to do it" blah blah blah. The funny thing is, I'm doing work for the dole atm so it's not like I have no idea about 'having to work'... I've been getting myself up and out of bed and really forcing myself everyday (well, 3 days a week). And yet I'm still 'lazy' apparently.

I get so fed up with having to rely on my mum. And she does too. When she's particularly angry she'll ask what I would do if she were to drop dead. Then she kind of almost taunts me with "would you go live with your dad??" (she knows I really wouldn't want to). Hmmph. :|

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I have no idea what I would do if my parents were gone. I don't think I'd be able to survive without them at this time!

·
Registered
654 Posts
Live with my aunt. I'd easily be able to support myself financial for years using the inheritance, so I wouldn't have to worry about work for a while.

To be honest, the main worry about losing my mother would be losing the emotional support she provides. I don't have any friends so she is the main human contact I have.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow not having my parents/family around would end my world. I couldn't imagine life without them and more than likely I would end up going into a depression that I would likely never recover from. My mom and dad especially are my rocks. I fell completely at ease with them, I can talk to them about anything I can be me 100% of the time without worry. They are very supportive of me and have shown me the true meaning of unconditional love. I am terrified of this possibility anyway because I feel without them I'm nothing.

·
Monster
6,552 Posts
I think about this quite a bit. It would be the worst thing that could ever happen. It would definitely be easier for me to die than for me to attempt life without them. Not only financially, but there are basic responsibilities that I wouldn't know how to do without them. For example, if my car broke down or even if I locked myself out, I wouldn't know who to call or how to help myself without them and would probably just sit somewhere and cry myself to death.

·
Banned
15 Posts
This has constantly been on my mind lately. I feel so pathetic and so bad about it. I know I am burden to her. Every time I talk to a prospective employer, even on the phone, I want to pass out. I cannot believe I have let things come to this. My wifes parents used to be on me hard about this, now they don't even speak to me and have kicked me out of the home my wife and I were renting from them. Now we are separated. I just don't know what else to do. I grit my teeth everyday and I try my best, but it never seems good enough. I've read many many books and articles on finding happiness, becoming motivated, finding your passion, etc. I now think that life is supposed to suck, at least until you find that pot of gold - which some people have. Guess I'm now trying to find happiness in the suckiness, but how does one do that when their desires are gone. I just know I need to figure something out. I cannot afford to be a burden to the one's who love me any longer.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts
I'm already sad that I live so far away from my mom. Since my kids were 8, I've lived in a different state. Now I see her about every 2 years. It really sucks. I feel like once I get back home, she'll either have Alzheimers or be dead. God that is painful.

·
SAS Master
943 Posts
I wouldn't say I complete depend on my parents, but I relie heavily on them. I think I would still be able to finish school and get a job, but I would be lonely as hell (my mom is my best friend, for sure)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts