Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, first time poster here.

Anyway, I was prescribed a daily dose 15mg of Nardil earlier this year which I would use sporadically, 1 and half weeks at the most, because the side effects were awful, particularly the ten-fold increase in my general anxiety and a mild increase in depression. For those that have been on this med for a while, at what point have your side effects subsided, if at all? I'm thinking about going back on Nardil with my current Xanax dosage(1.5mg) to help combat the general anxiety, which was by far the worst side effect. From what I've read, the first month seems to be the worst so I'm thinking just grin and bear it until I can feel some quality benefits. Despite all that, it did help my SA. That's why I don't want to give up on this med just yet.

I also have another question about a different med, Adderall. What in particular, in terms of its effects on neurotransmitters, helps alleviate social anxiety? Wouldn't the increase of norepinephrine make anxiety worse?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Most of them have went away after a month or so, but even when i was on 200mg of zoloft i didnt experience much sides at all. I would think using it sporadically would be pretty pointless, your not giving it a chance to work.... stick with it for a few months.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never tried Nardil but this guide might be interesting for you! http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum/f30/the-greenhorns-guide-to-nardil-51461/
SAS for the win!

For Adderall the increase in dopamine will help SA. The Norepinephrine doesn't really matter. Maybe a slight increase in psychical anxiety.
Nice, thanks for the link. I tried Adderall when I was a high school senior and it helped a great deal with both my depression and SA. Matter of fact, I remember doing a group skit in front of the class and I felt confident enough to do something like that for the first time in my life. That is until halfway through the skit where I just broke down for some reason and a had an anxiety attack when I had to recite my lines, lol. The crash was too much though, so I stopped using it. Reason I was asking is I was thinking about going back on Adderall, properly managed this time though.

Most of them have went away after a month or so, but even when i was on 200mg of zoloft i didnt experience much sides at all. I would think using it sporadically would be pretty pointless, your not giving it a chance to work.... stick with it for a few months.
Yeah, the general anxiety was just too much for me to the point where I became suicidal.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Adderall in combination with benzos as needed is a very effective anti-SA strategy IMHO. Adding an NMDA-antagonist / modulator like the simple supplement magnesium glycinate could help with tolerance.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Adderall in combination with benzos as needed is a very effective anti-SA strategy IMHO. Adding an NMDA-antagonist / modulator like the simple supplement magnesium glycinate could help with tolerance.
Tolerance for what? Benzodiazepines or MAOI's??

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
Hello, first time poster here.

Anyway, I was prescribed a daily dose 15mg of Nardil earlier this year which I would use sporadically, 1 and half weeks at the most, because the side effects were awful, particularly the ten-fold increase in my general anxiety and a mild increase in depression. For those that have been on this med for a while, at what point have your side effects subsided, if at all? I'm thinking about going back on Nardil with my current Xanax dosage(1.5mg) to help combat the general anxiety, which was by far the worst side effect. From what I've read, the first month seems to be the worst so I'm thinking just grin and bear it until I can feel some quality benefits. Despite all that, it did help my SA. That's why I don't want to give up on this med just yet.

I also have another question about a different med, Adderall. What in particular, in terms of its effects on neurotransmitters, helps alleviate social anxiety? Wouldn't the increase of norepinephrine make anxiety worse?
The exacerbated anxiety and depression early on in treatment is a rough stage, but these two side effects should go away after 1-3 weeks and reverse completely. Nardil was the best medication for general anxiety and best antidepressant for depression that I've tried.

I would think using it sporadically would be pretty pointless, your not giving it a chance to work.... stick with it for a few months.
:yes
Give it at the very least a 4 week trial. And also, you need to take it daily in order to maintain complete MAO inhibition (in case you were referring to PRN use).

Adderall (amphetamines).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The exacerbated anxiety and depression early on in treatment is a rough stage, but these two side effects should go away after 1-3 weeks and reverse completely. Nardil was the best medication for general anxiety and best antidepressant for depression that I've tried.

:yes
Give it at the very least a 4 week trial. And also, you need to take it daily in order to maintain complete MAO inhibition (in case you were referring to PRN use).
I was hoping for a response like that, thank you. I'm on my 2nd day on it and just as before, my anxiety and depression has worsened significantly but I'll stick through it. I'm currently out of Xanax, but I my script refilled next week, so I hope that will help.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I was talking about Adderall (amphetamine) and benzos. NMDA-antagonists / modulators might help with tolerance problems for both (and probably other substances), but the research about this comes mainly (or just) from animal studies, regarding benzos for example:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8971413
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9399331
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8341715

I just speed read the last abstract, but it seems that AMPA-antagonism might also play a role in the development of (benzo) tolerance. Caroverine as a combined NMDA-/AMPA-antagonist might be a pretty effective strategy vs. (benzo) tolerance problems. It's cheap, in general really good tolerated, but I think it's not available in the US and it's half-life is short so dosing several times a day would be necessary.

·
The Power Of Nature
6,010 Posts
I've seen a few anecdotal reports of memantine succesfull blocking tolerance to amphetamines and benzo's. I'm also starting to think that proglumide (wich reverses opiate tolerance) may work to reverse amphetamine tolerance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts