Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had the TV on this morning and Live with Regis and Kelly came on. Normally I only catch a little of the beginning if at all and then I'm off to do some work but today I got sucked in.

Bryant Gumbel was guest host. It started off with Bryant talking about how he was a jock in college including ice hockey. She was surprised he was such a jock and he said she's always surprised that brothers can ice skate. blah blah and then she says no she is surprised when anybody can ice skate because she can't. He seemed surprised she couldn't skate and then she starts talking about how her mother was so protective and wouldn't let her skate or ride on roller coasters because according to her mom her hair could get caught and rip off her head. :con Then Ms Ripa starts talking about all the fears she has and Gumbel is shocked, he said she always seemed like someone who isn't afraid of anything.

Then she starts talking about the paxil commercial for SAD and how when she sees it she thinks she might need it. She starts talking about all the fears she has including public speaking etc. Gumbel says no way and says she's fine at parties and such. She says that's because she is always standing near the fire exit and that she is going to be the first one out if there's a fire. Anyway they start joking about how she thinks she might need "that medication" but is too afraid to call and is too afraid of the possible side effects.

Since there was a lot of joking going on it's hard to tell how serious she was but she apparently does have fears including public speaking. Well she had me fooled along with Bryant Gumbel if anyone ever asked who would be a famous example of a woman that definitely didn't have any SA I probably would have said Kelly Ripa. Makes you really think. :stu

As a side note the guy who plays the 40 year old virgin in the movie of the same name was on. They showed a clip and it looked like it could be a good movie. The clip showed was kind of funny. The guy's friend trying to explain to him why he needs to get a gf etc. and well not doing a very good job of it.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I think Kelly talks about her SA often. My dad told me the same story about three months ago. At least she can laugh at herself. I think she is really funny. I watch her whenever I can. She is so much better than Kathy Lee Gifford.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I think there is a big difference between fear of public speaking (which she does every single day as a talk show host) and having a debilitating disorder.

I think she was probably just making a joke, maybe not a cruel one, but in the same vein as people saying "Oh you must have forgotten to take your Prozac today" when someone says something weird.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^I'm sure she exaggerated her problem but I think she really has a lot of fears including public speaking. You had to have seen the show to know it wasn't just a joke. She even had Gelman(sp?) and someone else I forget who, maybe her assistant verify that she has these fears. In reference to public speaking she meant not on the show but at other venues and talk shows other than the one she hosts.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Or, as rude as this may sound, she may like playing a victum because it gets ratings.

EDIT: well, maybe not a victum in this case, but playing on people's sympathy about some emotional problem. Same thing really.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Debra Messing(the redhead from will and grace) was on Oprah one episode. She opened up her fears about speaking in front of a live audience, which was ironic. After all, she does her sitcom in front of a live audience. However, she said that she felt a lot more comfortable "hiding behind a character" than speaking to a live audience as "debra".

Anyawy, she faced her fear on Oprah when she opened up for a live audience, and she did appear quite nervous while she was doing this.

I think that the same situation may perhaps apply to Kelly Ripa. Perhaps she feels as though she's playing some kind of "role" on Live with Regis and Kelly, which makes her more comfortable.

Still, I don't think that she really has SA. Many outgoing people still have trouble with public speaking. Public speaking is ranked among one of the highest common fears.

·
Registered
660 Posts
I have read that Harrison Ford has a fear of public speaking, despite being a movie star. Kinda weird.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SA was mentioned again today. I wasn't really paying attention, not sure if I got this right, but I think Regis was kidding her about somebody of importance saying she was unfriendly when they sat next to her or something at some function or party. To which she said "what do you mean, I was very friendly for a person with social anxiety disorder." Which got a big laugh.

I don't know if it's a good thing that celebs joke about SAD like that or not. The general public is never going to take it serious if all they hear about it is from some celeb joking about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts