Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I had my heart surgery when I was 18, I've noticed major changes in my body. For one, the foods I use to eat I can't because they seem to react in a negative way.

I'm allergic to most fruits, because they either give me hives, make me itch, cause stomach and/or bladder problems. If I have too much citrus I get hives and my bladder is very sore and feels like it has to go every 5 minutes.

I'm also hypoglycemic, so if I don't eat every few hours, my body gets shaky and feels like its breaking down! I need to have at least some milk and something with protein.

But I also have problems with my intestines. If I eat something that produces gas, it rarely is able to pass, it usually get stuck and just kills me! I have to take gas relief feels daily to make sure I don't go through such great pains.

I really struggle on what to eat. Sometimes I refuse to eat because its causing me so many problems, but I get so hungry by mid day I eat alot and end up with more problems.

I've been eating salads for a long while, but I realized they were causing me bowel problems, so that's been scratched off the list. I try to eat an apple a day or every other day.

I use to eat Mexican food alot like burritos, but the beans cause so much problems for me. I do eat bread, but I can't eat too much or I'll get constipated.

One of my other problems(and its kind of my fault) is when I'm feeling good I tend to just eat what I want and not think about the consequences. I mean, sometimes I just get tired of worrying and ignore it, but by either the next few days I'm in alot of discomfort).

Is there a special diet or food list for people who have lots of food allergies and intestinal problems???

·
Daydreaming
586 Posts
If I felt like it now, I'd go into detail about what I have to deal with and what foods I can't eat! It's frustrating, disturbing, annoying, scary...etc etc.
I do not know of any certain type of diet someone could go on. Besides maybe suggestions for those with IBS. I've found that for myself, I just have to avoid everything that bothers me....that's like nearly everything. And even that at times doesn't help (I always end up eating something bad anyways) I often wonder if I am hypoglycemic. But I don't know if I am. I am hungry almost all of the time, a few hours or so after I eat, I am starving and after that, I get so hot and sickly....beyond what's normal I'd say. Well...anyways, I can't stay for long, but if you really want to know, I could come back later and be more detailed about my problems. :blank

·
Registered
218 Posts
OMG I have a love/hate relationship with food as well. I started getting gastrointestinal disturbances after prolonged antibiotic use. I have been trying to get my problem under control for more than half a year now. I hate the fact that I don't have work or school to distract me from food anymore, as I am currently unemployed and just spend most of my time lying on my butt at home. It seems as though whenever I wander into the kitchen, I always grab the "forbidden" foods because the forbidden fruit is always tastier right?

Anytime I have sugar, wheat, yeast products, or caffeine I experience IBS like symptoms-belching, farting, and frequent urination. Then I feel absolutely horrible and guilty for doing that, and I'll sulk after having made that decision to eat those foods.

I've realized that the only way to stop myself from bingeing and obsessing over food is to get out of the house more often and focus on a project. I'm really trying desperately to find a job, or at least go to the library everyday for 5+ hours just to stay out of the kitchen.

As for treatment-I"ve been taking n-acetyl glucosamine, prebiotics, and probiotics which help with digestion. These digestive problems arise due to the fact that there is either microfloral imbalance in the digestive tract, or a thinned intestinal lining. You may want to look into treating "leaky gut" and "candida" with a specialized diet for a few months in order to soothe your intestines. A lot of people with digestive problems have candida and/or leaky gut. You might want to look those conditions up to see if they apply to you. These diets require strict adherence from carbohydrates, starches, sugars for a while. This low-carb, no starch, no sugar diet also helps with hypoglycemia as well, and will make you less hungry because it will balance your sugar levels.

And you must also take supplements in order to repair your intestines. N-acetyl glucosamine helps repair the mucus lining of the digestive tract. Taking probiotics such as bifidobacterium and acidophilus will help get rid of bad bacteria in the digestive tract.

I also highly recommend that you pick up this book and have a read, it's very informative and helpful

http://www.amazon.com/Healthy-Diges...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1256129045&sr=8-1

·
cocky,funny,mysterious=me
90 Posts
Google it! you will be surprised on how much information there is out there about food and allergies and stuff I had heartburn like every time I ate and man there is a ton of info out on the Internet I try to stay away from doctors cause they usually end up making my problems worse so I would come back and give them more money lol
but do search the net from my experience you will find the best info online, good luck and I hope you feel better never give up! Theres always hope!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Google it! you will be surprised on how much information there is out there about food and allergies and stuff I had heartburn like every time I ate and man there is a ton of info out on the Internet I try to stay away from doctors cause they usually end up making my problems worse so I would come back and give them more money lol
but do search the net from my experience you will find the best info online, good luck and I hope you feel better never give up! Theres always hope!
Thanks very much! I will search it out!

I agree with you about doctors. Before I knew about my heart problem, they said that my blood pressure was too high and that their equipment was faulty! They never reported it or put it in my files!

Thanks again!

·
cocky,funny,mysterious=me
90 Posts
Thanks very much! I will search it out!

I agree with you about doctors. Before I knew about my heart problem, they said that my blood pressure was too high and that their equipment was faulty! They never reported it or put it in my files!

Thanks again!
yea no problem good luck with your recovery :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts