Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is interested in understanding how "everyday food" can make you sick and contribute to your anti-social behavior and anxious responses go see this documentary or rent it when comes out on DVD. It's very informative and non-judgmental. For example, WALMART chose to participate and highlight some extremely positive moves they've made. It also gives props to technology for increasing the farmers ability to grow more stuff per acre. So it's not anti-big business.

*Warning: there is a fascinating scene where a professor is observing a cow's digestive system via a hole in the cow's side. This may accidentally turn you into a vegetarian even tho' the movie's purpose is not to promote veg over flesh.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
It was a good movie. I would recommend it if you want to go on a diet. Besides the food I grow in my backyard, what food is safe? How do I know?

It also looks at the link between corn subsidies and NAFTA destroying small farmers in Mexico and other countries and creating the illegal immigration problem.

·
Nothing is stopping me
136 Posts
That was a great movie, yet very shocking. I cant believe ive been eating ground beef... no more of that. I'm going hunting this year so i know my meat is killed right and is disease free!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Amazing doc!!
I was shocked when they were showing the slaughter house and how the cows were covered in their own filth!
---------------------------------------------------------

When I first came to Canada 10 years ago, one of the first things I noticed was that fruits and vegetables were "tasteless." In Iran, where I grew up, everything is organic. Since the US and Iran severed contacts 31 years ago Iran has founded it cheaper to leave things be. They also can't deal with American companies so all these high tech seeds and genetically modified crap never got there. I remember my dad used to take us out of town to buy meat. We would choose a sheep and the farmer would kill the sheep right there and tell us to come back in a few hours. We would just go have a picnic along a river and when we went back he had everything wrapped up and cleaned. Veggies and fruits were delivered to the markets every day from farms and you have no idea how much better they tasted. A peach didn't look perfect and firm like it does here because that's not how they are in reality, but they were so god damn juicy and sweet that you just wanted to eat fruits all day. We also didn't have every kind of fruit through out the year. I actually remember waiting for summers because of all the different and tasty fruits like cherries, peaches etc...

Unfortunately as the country has grown and "advanced" they have developed all this stupid tech on their own. For now they are only modifying the vegetables and fruits but I'm afraid it's just a matter of time before the food industry over there goes through a revolution like it did in the US in the 70's.

Isn't it funny how developing countries have higher quality food than developed ones? :blank

·
is sad
294 Posts
I think I saw part of it but I'm not sure I am prepared to watch it right now because I know many of the scenes. I avoid eating meat, however I do eat seafood so I'm not a "true" vegetarian. My aim is to become a full vegetarian. It sounds like an amazing film and I will watch it when I know I can handle it, but I've been encouraging my bf to watch it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts