Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just joined this site and started this post off with "sorry if I sound a little mental" but then realised that we're all a bunch of crazies together, so it's fine. I'm going to a concert tomorrow with people who are skipping the support acts; 'Letlive.' are one of the supports and I'd be gutted if I were to miss them, however I feel embarrassed and queasy at the thought of going alone. Should I wait and just go to the headliner with my pals or, fingers crossed, brave the supports alone and hopefully get lost in the music?

as this is my first post I feel I've gotta try out the smilies...
;):):mum:yes:clap:blank:teeth:sus:idea:um
.......................... worth it.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
ive gone alone to every concert ive been to so far. you are there for the music, not a chit chat with friends. the experience is about the performance of the artist for the fan, you. Other concertgoers will not be there to whisper about that person who was alone. theyll be too focused on the music.

·
Registered
454 Posts
just went to a DJ concert alone a few days ago. It was really quite lame being alone for the pre show it was basically empty and I was isolated. but once the headliner came out, and many people arrived I felt much more comfortable. (oh and I had beer or two :)) you should go, but just know that it improves as the night goes on...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did go, I didn't find my friends at the gig unfortunately 'cause it was too hectic to even begin searching for them but it was still great, and I met two nice people while waiting to meet the band. Just wanted to say cheers for the messages.

·
Out there...
5,124 Posts
I go to concerts alone all the time. It's one of those instances where I can really enjoy myself. I used to go with people, but I stopped bothering to ask when I would almost always get turned down or not even get a response.

I used to feel self-conscious (and still do to a degree somewhat), but it has slowly gone away for the most part. Now I'm more able to concentrate on enjoying the show itself.

Also, going by yourself gives you an opportunity to socialize with people (even if the conversation is a few seconds, hey, it's something) and possibly even make friends. I also bar hop in advance, so that gives me even more opportunities. Some days, I barely socialize and some days I talk to almost everybody without a problem.

Incidentally, I went to one last night, but it happened to be with a buddy who I met a week or so ago. And when we got there, I ran into someone I used to bump into when I went to other shows, so we all had a nice conversation. So I guess I lucked out socially last night.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts