Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you don't have a lot of work experience, how are you supposed to stretch your resume to fill up an entire page (without using a ridiculously large font size or lying)? I've only had one job in my entire life and I have a four year college degree. That plus my contact information and objective only takes up about half a page. I feel pretty foolish about handing a half-page resume to a potential employer, especially considering most other 23 year olds have held at least 3 or 4 jobs by this point in their life. I used to have a job-related skills section, but I've given up finding a job that's related to my useless college degree so now I'm going to try to apply jobs in which I have no training for or applicable skills.

Why am I asking this social anxiety forum? Because I'm too embarrassed to ask anywhere else and every single book I've looked at on resume writing assumes you've held at least three jobs, have internships, and do lots of volunteer work. They don't write books on writing resumes for normal people.

·
Registered
13 Posts
List any honours or clubs you were part of in college. Also list any accomplishments at work. What is your degree in?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Depending on the job you can also list reated skills.

Like if its IT something like
3 years linux (moderate)
6+ years small networking (expert)
6+ years all windows systems (expert)
Or putting down experience with forklift.... warehouse packaging, database's, flesh mechanic

Pretty much skills that can be related the to positions your applying for.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Definitely include a "skills" category where you tell them about yourself. For example...

Skills:
Proficient in Office/Words/Excel/etc
Typing speed 70 WPM
Motivated
Organized
Good listener
Able to work with little supervision
blah blah blah until the space is filled up!

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Put your hobbies:
Any little jobs you've done - like cutting grass, shoveling snow, taking someone's garbage out, have you sewed for someone, made crafts

have you ever Volunteered?

any classes you've took at your school or college that really interested you and applies to the position?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mr. Frostman said:
I've only had one job in my entire life and I have a four year college degree.
Dude! Half of the first page of my CV is lots of nice simple statements about what I learnt from my degree, and I haven't even finished it yet.

What did you study? Regardless, you were probably put into groups, forced into presentations, got some good experience in report writing etc etc...

For example, one of the lines I've used is: Good time management, consistently meeting deadlines. Or...

Effective independent work and team building through regular group lab work. Led a small team for a three month wing design project.

White lie - I only led the group for 2 weeks, but who's gonna know that? Mwhahaha.

Simple points - but fleshed out to sound good. Want more? :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts