Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am a 31 year old married female who has dealt with S.A. for a long time... probably since kindergarden is when I can remember. I was a very shy little girl but led a very fun life in highschool with good friends- still very peppered with social anxiety issues. I had debilitating depression at 10 years old and social anxiety forever. My issues through elementary school and to this day are primarily with public speaking and with feeling lower than certain people, mainly the popular & attractive or outgoing ones. I still feel a sense of that from time to time but definitely not as bad as back then. I come from a family with an alcoholic father and not a very open and warm communicating family and blame some of my issues on this, but don't dwell on it at all. Just trying to keep strong and go forward.

I have done a lot in the past to try and conquer this thing and have spent probably over $7000 in these efforts. The best thing I ever got was a book called "The Feeling Good Handbook" from a therapist I saw briefly. I received this book on cognitive therapy when I was dealing with some pretty debilitating panic attack episodes that were keeping me homebound at the age of 21. It helped me to write down my thoughts even when I couldn't stand focusing on anything and hash out what were wrong with them. I still do this and recommend it to anyone who suffers from S.A. or panic attacks. I also keep xanax with me when my brain doesn't want to let me rest or focus. I have found that this helps me a great deal as well. Typically I go through about 20 pills every year and a half...so I think I'm doing o.k. for the most part. I just want to get rid of all the negative talk in my head and be the absolute best I can be with a clear and creative mind. Because of this goal, I saught out this forum to keep me in touch with those who are like me and let me see how others have progressed and helped themselves. I know there are good techniques for conquering this, I've seen it...but I'm bad at keeping up on it for myself and slip back very often. I look forward to talking with many similar minded people on this forum! I also welcome any emails.:D

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
Long time listener, first time caller!

Welcome!

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey wstcstgal welcome. :)

·
Registered
154,235 Posts