Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Because there are several people that just go there and paste the same generic response on every thread in some sad attempt to increase their post count and they often do so at certain times of the day basically flooding the new posts for a while.

Perhaps posts made in that section should not count towards the counter, it may discourage such annoying behavior.

·
Registered
8,282 Posts
There is nothing wrong or 'spammy' about people going to that section to say hi to new members. I know it made me happy when people replied to my first post - regardless of how long their reply was.

That said, I don't see the value from having posts from the First Step section take up so much space in the new posts list.
I would think it should be possible to add a filter so that section wouldn't be included.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
As annoying as that spam is, it's a necessary evil. There are way too many introduction threads to personalize every one of them (or even "a lot of them"), and all of them should get at least a few replies.

Their presence in 'New Posts' does get annoying sometimes (the 50-post spam this morning... ugh), but would hiding that forum have more a positive effect, or a negative effect? Would it further detract from it when it's already under-trafficked? The last thing any forum wants is intro posts being ignored or only getting 1-2 replies (as many of them already do).

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
And senseless Just for fun threads as well. I'm not against people posting in them, everyone comes here for what they like, but it's still annoying to sometimes have an entire page of New posts full of replies of a single person. I think a personalized filter of some kind would be a good feature.

What Just Lurking said about the introduction threads not being ignored makes sense, though.

·
Querdenker
5,684 Posts
This is really churlish. You may not have any need for it, but it means something to the new arrivals. If censoring something you do not like is the fashion, then perhaps we could start with abortion advocates.

·
I'm not Dead...Yet
2,191 Posts
Because there are several people that just go there and paste the same generic response on every thread in some sad attempt to increase their post count and they often do so at certain times of the day basically flooding the new posts for a while.

Perhaps posts made in that section should not count towards the counter, it may discourage such annoying behavior.
The question becames though, if it's so annoying to you, why keep clicking on the forum to read it?

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
If you don't like it then perhaps you should abandon the use of the "New Posts" feature.

Check the forums that interest you and see if there is anything happening. When you are ready to leave the board, click the link to "Mark Forums Read". When you come back all of the new posts are clearly visible in their respective forums. It just takes a moment to click a forum and see what has been updated. You can bypass the ones that hold no interest for you. Problem solved and you never have to accuse someone of spamming simply because they are trying to make newcomers feel welcome.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
and you never have to accuse someone of spamming simply because they are trying to make newcomers feel welcome.
No one did that in this thread. The issue here is not people making threads to be welcomed and people replying to them. The issue is how it can fill an entire New Posts page, rendering it practically useless until it is "refilled" with other type of replies. Some of you are missing the point. The focus here is in the New Posts, not in First Step.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
No!

Why can't people just welcome people as and when they join as opposed to a 10 minute 50 post dump once a day. Gets a little annoying when you've got 5-6 people doing that every day.
Some people don't hang around the board all day waiting for new people to post in order to welcome them. When they do come on, they spend a few minutes saying hi.

This is a place that is supposed to support people. Many new members have found this site through an act of desperation. Is it too much to ask that we, who are more experienced, give them that support or should we be in too much of a hurry to see who has added their picture to to the "show your muscles" thread?

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
But if you dump all 50 posts on saying a generic copy & paste 'Hi', once a day every day, what are you getting out of this place yourself?
Three quarters of First Steppers never post again so what's the big deal about the big hello thing?

The ones who go on to actually post regarding their issues will get welcomed and supported.

[email protected] "show your muscles thread"
I dont get that thread at all :D
It's their 50 posts to use as they see fit. If they wish to offer even a token welcome, that is their right. It seems petty and selfish to tell them not to do it just because a few people don't want to see it.

·
^ Smells like teen spirit
996 Posts

I go and welcome people sometimes, it's got nothing to do with post count, why would anybody care about post count, if post count is an issue why don't SAS remove the post count stat since it's irrelevant.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts