Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I stumbled upon this website the other day and I am so relieved to read about so many peoples experiences with social anxiety...I can relate 110% on so many of these things! What a relief to know I'm not the only one!!

Anyways..it took me so long (years) to get the courage to call a therapist, but somehow..as akward as I was...I did and I have my first appt on Tuesday. And I AM NERVOUS. SO SO nervous. The anxiety in me wants to cancel it, not show up, run away. But I've come so far that I know I can't turn around now.

Can anyone give me some of their experiences/advice/consolations about this first time?? I have no idea how I am going to get through it! I know I am going to clam up and just a mess!!!

· Registered
526 Posts
I had a consult for CBT last week and am starting regular sessions on Monday.
The consult was a bit awkward for me. They ask so many questions. I know they have to ask everything - but I'm very aware of what my problem is and I hate those questions where she was like "ever think of hurting yourself, ever do things repeatedly and forget you did it" etc. I answered patiently but I wanted to say "I know you're trying to figure out if I'm depressed or obsessive compulsive as well but I'm NOT, only social anxiety. Period."

But either way, I think therapy is a good idea. I mean, I've read self help books and all that but you can read all the instructions in the world about how kick this but isn't it always so much easier not to...and at the end of the day it's a social problem so it's good to have someone to talk to about your progress and someone to light the fire under your butt!

Congratulations and I'm sure it will pay off. Good luck :yes

· Fun...Fluid...Formidable
7,240 Posts
Remember, he/she's the therapist. All you have to do is describe your behavior and feelings. That in itself will go a long way in helping. And fgs's it's okay to cry if you want to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.