Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had a job before and I tried applying to a bunch of places but nobody would hire me because of my lack of experience. Also I lose motivation pretty quickly because of my low self esteem.

Anyway, my uncle owns a gas station and recently the main guy working there moved and my mom suggested I ask him to give me a job. Usually I hate asking people for favors but my parents think I'm lazy staying at home doing nothing all the time so I said ok. I didn't work up the courage to call him so my mom did and he agreed but I know its cuz I'm family.

I've been training for a couple weeks and this past Sunday was my first official day working alone at the register.
I hate doing the job because I'm always anxious and nervous and hate having to do small talk w/ the customers. Also I keep thinking that I'm gonna mess up or something. The worst thing is bagging their stuff because I'm really awkward doing it and people look at me weird. This store also doesn't have a scanner so I have to memorize the candy, beer, and drink prices which sucks and I always screw up. I just feel like escaping sometimes.
So this Monday I go in and I tried talking to my uncle but I knew he was pissed because he didn't seem really happy. Later he tells me that there was a $20 short and next time it would come off my paycheck.

After I heard this I really felt horrible and couldn't remember what went wrong. I didn't talk the whole day and got really depressed. Now I'm dreading going back on Sunday cuz I feel like I'm gonna do it all over again.

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Hang in there. Given he's your uncle, the $20 missing is a bit petty of him, but regardless don't let your mom and your uncle down. Stick it out and save the cash earned like a hawk especially if you are living with your mom (?).

You'll eventually get the hang of the place. It's only been 2 weeks, so give yourself a break and go with it.

Let us know if you keep the job. Wished my family had a business I can work at.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks for the reply man :). Yea this Sunday I had a couple of screwups and I wrote them down so here's hoping nothing really bad happened.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts