Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hired and my supervisor showed me around the work place, and I was just so nervous, even though the job is very relaxed and laid-back. I introduced myself to people around the work place, and was racking my brain for things to say. I'm pretty sure they think I'm a psychopath or something. I can see it in their eyes, although they seem like very nice people. I have not started working yet, but I'd like to know how to cope with this, or hear similar stories of people in similar situations where work is involved.

·
(/・・)ノ 
1,840 Posts
Oh god, my first and second campus jobs were like that. I don't think you could be more awkward than I was. It was bad until I found a skilled campus job within my major. I had the tiniest bit of authority to give me confidence and the job involved things I gave a crap about.

Find something about the job you enjoy. It's easier to be sociable when you don't totally hate your job.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got my first job on campus a few months ago and it was really awkward in the beginning because I'm not very good at small talk and I would only say hi if someone said it to me first. But after awhile I started feeling more confident and started talking with some of the people there. I noticed that they're usually really busy and probably don't care about you (not in a bad way) so just try to relax!

·
Registered
485 Posts
My first (and only) job was like that too. I used to break into a cold sweat and my heart would beat like crazy whenever I would walk in the building. I would be so scared at lunch when I had to eat with them. It took around a year, but as I kept doing a good job and showing my skills people eventually warmed to me and now I feel great about what I do. Best wishes, I hope this awkward time passes soon and that you can feel comfortable as possible with the people you work with. And just think that with every day you go in to work you are conquering SA in that moment and are bettering yourself!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts