Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a job or even been interviewed, as the title says. But my family is really sinking right now financially, so yesterday I applied at Best Buy. Within a few hours I got a call for an interview and at first I was really excited.. for a couple minutes. then the anxiety and nerves hit me. I don't know what to expect... or what to say. Any tips on questions that will be asked (and how I should reply maybe?), or tips or any sort would be so helpful. I'm really freaking out lol.

Things I'm nervous about:
Do I make jokes? or act serious?
Should I mention my family's financial problems?
My eyebrows are just a tad uneven... will she care? She probably wants her employees to be presentable. (I know, this one is weird)
Is being an introvert a bad thing? I hear she's going to ask me to describe myself..
I don't like the necklace my sister wants me to wear, but everyone else says it looks good. I think it looks like costume jewelry. Not sure what to do about this one lol. It's the only jewelry I have to wear.

There are many more (much more serious then the listed ones, of course) but now that I'm trying to list them I'm drawing blanks lol
Interview is in an hour and a half. :afr

·
Registered
2 Posts
Smile. Smile. Smile.
It's important, even if you feel like a narbo doing it. (I sure do.)
Also, they're looking for someone who's going to fulfill their needs: are you going to be dependable? Hardworking? If a customer has a problem will you shrug and go "I dunno" or will you take the initiative to solve it? Try to see things from the employer's perspective. What would you want in an employee? It's not a popularity contest where you have to have the most charming personality, you're there to show you can solve their problems. You can be shy etc. as long as you're warm and eager.

As for what they'll ask, type "top 10 interview questions" into a search engine and prepare answers ahead of time. Trust me, you'll want to do this. Even if they don't ask those, you can apply them to another question surely. It's easier than thinking on the spot.

They will probably ask "why do you want to work at best buy?": learn a bit about the company. This will put you ahead of the other candidates, I promise you. They're seeing how eager you are or if they're just one of many on a list.

They may also ask "what weaknesses do you have"? Here you can mention one, but be sure to frame these in a positive way. So you're socially anxious: say something like "I'm so eager to put my best face forward sometimes that I end up becoming a bit shy or anxious." Then here's the important part: list how you're taking steps to deal with that. I say something like "but I personally challenge myself to do things that scare me so it's getting easier with time" or something. Everyone has a flaw, as long as you're doing something about it you'll come accross as being proactive.

Don't worry about a crooked eyebrow. Just dress a step up from what they're dressed like there. And practise good grooming.

Finally: this is not the place to downplay yourself. You're trying to convince them why they should hire you. You wouldn't buy a product where the box read "you can buy it. I guess.. but sometimes it doesn't work well.." Be sure you know all of your good qualities (make a list!) and think of how they'd help Best Buy. Don't put yourself down - there are people going in their blowing their horns, so you need to as well.

I'm sure you have great qualities to offer to a job.
I did retail for years with SA and I made sure to be reliable, helpful, pleasent, etc. and I was usually asked to come back to places when I quit. So remember, you can still be successful in retail, even with SA, you just have to do it your way.

I'm sure you'll do great. Good luck!! :)

·
growing up
432 Posts
I've never had a job or even been interviewed, as the title says. But my family is really sinking right now financially, so yesterday I applied at Best Buy. Within a few hours I got a call for an interview and at first I was really excited.. for a couple minutes. then the anxiety and nerves hit me. I don't know what to expect... or what to say. Any tips on questions that will be asked (and how I should reply maybe?), or tips or any sort would be so helpful. I'm really freaking out lol.

Things I'm nervous about:
Do I make jokes? or act serious?
Should I mention my family's financial problems?
My eyebrows are just a tad uneven... will she care? She probably wants her employees to be presentable. (I know, this one is weird)
Is being an introvert a bad thing? I hear she's going to ask me to describe myself..
I don't like the necklace my sister wants me to wear, but everyone else says it looks good. I think it looks like costume jewelry. Not sure what to do about this one lol. It's the only jewelry I have to wear.

There are many more (much more serious then the listed ones, of course) but now that I'm trying to list them I'm drawing blanks lol
Interview is in an hour and a half. :afr
Your going to do great, just remember why your getting this job, and let that move you forword. I wish, I could work at best buy, lucky duck. :p

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies and tips everyone. I actually got the job!! Your ideas were spot on and very helpful so thank you :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts