Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, today is going to be my first day working at a restaurant. After applying to numerous jobs, I applied at a place where I happen to know one of people in charge, which is part of the reason why I think I got the job. They also are understaffed would be the other. However, I’ve never had experience in this industry, and I’m a little nervous being a waitress considering I have social anxiety and shy. I’m also nervous about trying memorize everything quickly. Any advice?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Though working in a grocery store is not the same experience, I would say really carve out at least an hour (probably more) to memorize the menu. When I worked at a grocery store and didn't know what was where (even after weeks of working), it was super embarrassing.

With all social anxiety advice, go easy on yourself. Also be nice and try to sound happy to be serving these people.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Hi everyone, today is going to be my first day working at a restaurant. After applying to numerous jobs, I applied at a place where I happen to know one of people in charge, which is part of the reason why I think I got the job. They also are understaffed would be the other. However, I’ve never had experience in this industry, and I’m a little nervous being a waitress considering I have social anxiety and shy. I’m also nervous about trying memorize everything quickly. Any advice?
Congratulations - glad to hear a story of persistence paying off :)

Memorising extensively shouldn't be required per se - but if you want to make a really good impression, just take the menu/ information home and memorising the deals so that eventually you won't need to be dependent on the physical menu. Asking for feedback shows a willingness to improve upon any social anxiety-induced attributes you may be displaying.

And remember to enjoy it, use it as opportunities for practicing social skills, and also embrace being part of the team.

Good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts