Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the same problem. I HATE eye contact. I avoid it at all costs. I don't know how to overcome that. I have a supervisor at work who constantly makes eye contact the entire time they are talking they hold your gaze. I look down, to the side, at my feet, etc. and I feel so awkward. I don't know how to get over this but I feel like they are judging me and will see a physical flaw as well. I guess it has a lot to do with my lack of self confidence. So if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
My first day will be this Monday. I'm dreading it.

With eye contact, I would say to glance at their eyes and then look somewhere else on their face like the bridge of their nose. Then glance back at their eyes so that way you're always looking at their face.

·
Registered
221 Posts
My 1st day of school was today 2. We had to introduce ourselves in front of the whole class in all of my classes. I didn't think you had to do that in college.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Every teacher is different I got lucky and all of mine make us do an intro. Its part of becoming marketable and presentable for my major blah blah blah. I didn't go to the first real classes bc of this reason. Than I had to email all the teachers with an excuse and come early to get the syllabus...all the extra legwork we have to do bc of sa lol I have to laugh at myself sometimes. Its the only way I survive!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've been in school for over a month now. I am lucky that I don't get the same people in my classes. I usually skip the first days of class because all teachers do is talk about the syllabus. I usually attend the 2nd class and just tell the professors that I had scheduling conflicts. This way you can just attend the next class without having to do any of the introduction crap which I hate.

·
Registered
16 Posts
We did the intro thing, like 50 some people, I was one of the last ones to do it, even after all my supposed preparidness (sp), while the other 40 something were taking their turns, I still sounded like a dry mouthed stuttering azz. Glad that day is history.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts