Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm not sure how to start this off, but anyway...
I really like this guy at my school and we have been talking for almost a year now via text and facebook. I've told him about my SA and he said he would wait until I was ready to meet him face to face, I never talk at school so we haven't actually hung out before. We were talking the other day about hanging out and he asked me to go to the movies but that seems like too big of a step for me since there are way too many people. xP

Does any one have any ideas of places to go that wouldn't be so crowded? I haven't hung out with a guy since grade four or something. I'm getting really nervous just thinking about meeting him, I want to but I'm afraid he may think that I'm boring and won't talk to me again or that I'll have nothing to say or I'll say something stupid.

Any advice would be helpful , I guess it'd be more like a first date. xP

·
Father, Son & Holyzilla
7,386 Posts
With July 4 coming up you guys can go to a park to watch the fireworks. Some parks usually have some entertainment and people are so spread out and doing their own thing that they won't even notice you're there.

Movies are nice and quiet and if it isn't the opening week usually has few people in the theater.

I personally like more active dates like going to Dave and Busters to shoot pool or play games because it helps with not coming off as boring for me. Go early enough and few people will be there.

If you want to sit and talk coffee shops seem to be a popular place to have a date.

Going out to eat, again at a certain time and day where there are few people, will give a great excuse to not talk as much when the food arrives.

That's all I got. Hope they help :)

Edit: didn't realize you were Canadian. I believe July 1 is your independence day. If you celebrate it similar to how we Americans do, same thing applies for the first suggestion.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I agree with the above. Especially the active date idea. Your focus will be on other things, as will his, and that might help the anxiety. Can you name what you're afraid will happen? Or what you're nervous about, rather? Everyone's anxiety seems to have different boundaries. Is there an activity you really enjoy that calms you that maybe you can turn into a date/hang out?

Edit: Ha, you did name it. Apologies. :) In that case maybe avoid coffee dates. I ramble like no other when nervous but those drive me nuts because you're contained and are forced to talk and every silence is too noticeable. He won't find you boring. He's been talking to you online for so long - you're saying something right!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
A walk around some place, maybe. Visiting a museum... Hope everything goes well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha, you did name it. Apologies. :) In that case maybe avoid coffee dates. I ramble like no other when nervous but those drive me nuts because you're contained and are forced to talk and every silence is too noticeable. He won't find you boring. He's been talking to you online for so long - you're saying something right!
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too, no coffee dates for me. xP
Thank you. ^.^

I never even thought about going to see fireworks, that sounds like a great idea though. :3

I can't eat in public so going to a coffee shop or something wouldn't be ideal.

Thank you for your ideas though. :3

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A walk around some place, maybe. Visiting a museum... Hope everything goes well.
Walking around somewhere seems like a good idea, I was kind of thinking about going to the zoo, the only issue is the amount of people. xP
I've never seen the penguins before, so I think if we went on a rainy day then it might not be as busy...but who wants to go in the rain? xP
Thank you though. :3

Getting ice cream is pretty awesome.
Indeed it is, but more so in the comfort of your own home. xP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts