Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent about 5 days searching for a psychotherapist and have nailed one down.

There are so many. How do you chose? I guess one just has to trust their gut.

My appointment is tomorrow at 3pm and I'm nervous, excited, scared and of course ANXIOUS lol.

It does feel great to have made the first step towards what will hopefuly be a resolution to my SAD problem.

Wish me luck,

Jack

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not to bring you down but I felt the same way. I was so excited I finally had the nerve to go for the next step and see a psychologist. Turned out she had me buy this book and we read it along together in sessions. I was like wtf is this? How is reading a self help book any different than me going out and buying it and trying it by myself? It made me feel worse and I stopped going. Haven't gone to one sense and the SA just keeps breaking me down.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not to bring you down but I felt the same way. I was so excited I finally had the nerve to go for the next step and see a psychologist. Turned out she had me buy this book and we read it along together in sessions. I was like wtf is this? How is reading a self help book any different than me going out and buying it and trying it by myself? It made me feel worse and I stopped going. Haven't gone to one sense and the SA just keeps breaking me down.
No worries man.

Believe me, I have that same fear of it not working. The worst thing about SA is most of us think it just can't be conquered.

I have my doubts but being as positive as possible isn't a choice.. It's a must at this point.

Anyhow.... Your story is unfortunate. Maybe she had a dual personality and chose to be an english teacher that day haha. You know what I mean??? It's a joke. how dare she make you purchase a book, read it with you and pass it off as therapy. That's more of an insult than anything.

Have you read about CBT? It seems to be the most succesful psychotherapeutic method for dealing with SA. I made sure to find a dr who offers CBT. Maybe you should give it another shot?

Anyways.. I'll let you know how it went tomorrow..

Thanks for your input

1 - 3 of 3 Posts