Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posts from certain parts of this board can be found on Google: from "Society and Culture" and probably from other parts of the board too, though I don't know which ones. (I wish that information was a bit clearer.) This didn't use to be the case. It used to be possible to post on the board, knowing that the only people who would read the posts were other members of SAS.

How does this benefit members of SAS?

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
We watch what we post. It's still semi-anonymous, though, depending on the username.

·
···---···
3,375 Posts
I think it's because S&C was opened up to be viewable to non-members and that allows web crawlers to find it now.

On the one hand, I don't think it benefits SAS members. Opening up boards allows other people to find this board (and increases membership) but someone who finds this place after searching for a topic discussed on S&C (but unrelated to social anxiety) isn't the target audience.

On the other hand, I think it's rarely useful to close off any board to non-members. On this site, it's usually done under the notion that it protects anonymity. In reality, having closed boards only encourages members to be more open about things which they normally wouldn't be open about (thinking it's safe because the board is closed).

·
Retired Enforcer
19,108 Posts
It is viewable by non members. As such it is also available to the search engines.

·
Viva La Raza!
34,841 Posts
yea you have to be careful what you post. i used to have my real name (which is a rare name) as a user name and i made a post about an anatomy (an english word that is my last name if you say it in spanish) so when i googled my first and last name, that post came up

·
Hiding In My Den
1,955 Posts
It kinda of makes me wish I chose a less awesome name for my posting here lol, since I use this name here I refuse to use it anywhere else on the web.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I found this forum by frantically searching for help with my issues, so I'm really grateful you can find it that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts