Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need a job soon as my money is running out fast.

I suffer quite bad from social anxiety. To a lot of people I probably seem fairly normal, because i'm generally OK in most social situations, but my anxiety goes into OVER-DRIVE when it's anything to do with employment.
(job interviews, first day at a new job, phoning a company about a job etc etc)

I can't get my words out. I avoid things at all costs. I become a useless, shipwreck of a human being.

At the moment, I am trying to pluck up the courage to get the ball rolling with regards to some temporary work which I emailed an agency about.
They have replied and want me to phone them up.
Embarrassingly, i'm just too scared at the moment.

I've never been to a Dr. about my anxiety.
The idea of medication is interesting though.
If I was to start popping pills, would I suddenly have the courage to, for example, make the phonecall?
Would I be less nervous at things like interviews?
The nerves are the worst thing.

Are many of you unemployed out of fear of all things that fall under the umbrella of 'work' ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I am in almost exactly the same boat as you, from the being mostly okay in social situations but a wreck in work-related ones, to the considering getting medicated part. Right now, the absolute scariest thing to me, in the entire world, seems to be making a phone call for a job interview.

I would wish/hope that going to a doctor for some pills would help, at least some, but I really have no idea. I've also considered going to a therapist, but I have no idea what that entails either.

I can't even offer any advice, and I apologize. Right now, I'm trying to just soldier through some kind of job hunting process, but I keep getting sidetracked merely by nervous thoughts. I just sit there, paralyzed, thinking of all the people I'll have to talk to, what I'll have to say, how terrified I am of looking foolish, etc. until I feel drained and want to just lie down. And I can't stop.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in almost exactly the same boat as you, from the being mostly okay in social situations but a wreck in work-related ones, to the considering getting medicated part. Right now, the absolute scariest thing to me, in the entire world, seems to be making a phone call for a job interview.

I would wish/hope that going to a doctor for some pills would help, at least some, but I really have no idea. I've also considered going to a therapist, but I have no idea what that entails either.

I can't even offer any advice, and I apologize. Right now, I'm trying to just soldier through some kind of job hunting process, but I keep getting sidetracked merely by nervous thoughts. I just sit there, paralyzed, thinking of all the people I'll have to talk to, what I'll have to say, how terrified I am of looking foolish, etc. until I feel drained and want to just lie down. And I can't stop.
Yep.
You completely get it!
I wish I knew you in real life.

I keep thinking about making an appointment with my doctor.
Obviously that also makes me nervous, but nothing like as nervous as things like job interviews etc.
But the idea of taking pills all of the time to make me more normal just doesn't quite sit right with me, not to mention that i'm not convinced that pill is gonna suddenly give me the confidence that I clearly lack.

I'm very slightly less nervous in person than when I have to phone someone up. I'm tempted to email the recruiter back and suggest that we arrange a time where I can come in and see her and discuss my work possibilities....

·
Registered
36 Posts
There are not nearly enough people with SA in real life to go around for some support, I say.

Yes, I'm not very convinced pills will work all that well either. But, what do I know. If they truly did, I might not have any problems with taking them at all.

You're still definitely several steps ahead of me! I think if you somehow manage to take them up on the call, it will definitely be worth it. Whatever you do, good luck.

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
I think I took a big risk applying and interviewing for my potential job. Because I am majorly depressed, if they say you didn't get the job, that's likely to be the straw that broke the camels back per se. So maybe I should have waited till I got some therapy and felt better (even though that may take ten years, in which by that time I will have missed the boat) to apply for another job (and especially interview for one). I know that if this job does say no I am taking a break and shutting myself down from everything (besides applying to DVR), which is a risk, until I start getting therapy because social encounters could just make me feel worse.

If I had just treated the depression when it started, none of this would be happening right now. I know one things for sure, I'm going to regret this mistake for the rest of my life as it's one of the biggest I've ever made. Now I'm stuck with this horrid, rigid depression which is responsible for a whole host of things which I won't go into detail here, which won't go away, and could possibly debilitate me for life.

With no one to help me I'm scared ****less. What happens if they say no and I have a breakdown? Who will support me?

I think maybe if I waited till my therapy was completed, even though I may have missed the boat, I'd be much better off

·
Banned
1,795 Posts
Maybe you should go on disability?
Maybe for me thats a good idea but I'll wither away into nothing, being lonely all the time and with my psuedo-depressive episode problem, I'll be in bed my whole life.\

Why did I get into this mess? And how?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Wow, you and i are the same person. Sub conciously i even try to push oppurtunities away when or if they do present themselves due to my fear. But then again i have to make my own damn money someday. Feel so bad being in my mid 20s still living home and broke as a joke while many have made it or are close to.

The job market where i live is in shambles and have been, which makes it even worse when u dont have alot of references.

It seems like most people get jobs based on connects or knowing somebody who knows somebody anyway. Which i dont, at all.

@chessman6500

I relate to what u said too, esp the first few sentences. Its a catch 22 for me. Getting your hopes up only breaks me even worse if i dont get it because of what u described, but acting "cool" makes u look uninterested or something else to an employer. Its a lose-lose no matter what it seems.

@Cinch

Relate to your post too.

I need to find that courage too though. Cuz i cant live this broke and dependant for ever :/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts