Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It just dawned on me how much of my life I devote to finding confidence and reassurance that I am smart, cool, attractive, etc. The only problem is, I look for it everywhere but myself. I am very competitive. The only reason I want to win so badly is so I can prove to myself that I am good enough. I worry about what people think because their opinions of me impact me more than my own opinions. I don't exercise for personal enjoyment more than a way to get people to like me which will in turn reassure myself that I am attractive. The only problem is, no matter where I look for reassurance, it never seems to help.

The only way for me to truly gain self confidence is through my own opinions and my own thoughts.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
It just dawned on me how much of my life I devote to finding confidence and reassurance that I am smart, cool, attractive, etc. The only problem is, I look for it everywhere but myself. I am very competitive. The only reason I want to win so badly is so I can prove to myself that I am good enough. I worry about what people think because their opinions of me impact me more than my own opinions. I don't exercise for personal enjoyment more than a way to get people to like me which will in turn reassure myself that I am attractive. The only problem is, no matter where I look for reassurance, it never seems to help.

The only way for me to truly gain self confidence is through my own opinions and my own thoughts.
BINGO! :boogie :boogie :boogie

Positive self-talk and reassurance. You need to be the one to run to.

Another thing that I learned myself (my own statement) is to Be the Other Person you Want. If you want people to be outgoing to you, make the first move. Chances are that they are just as afraid as you are, but do not show it.

·
Banned
347 Posts
You have to act confident before you start to feel confident. Reality is called a pretentious paradise for that FACT, for that paradox. Feelings follow action. You need to act confidently, before you start to feel confident. Of course, you have to go against your negative feelings first and that is the hardest part, but once you take that first step, it becomes easier and easier until the "fake" confidence begins to be real, natural confidence.

Beautiful quote from Three Kings:
Archie Gates: You're scared, right?
Conrad Vig: Maybe.
Archie Gates: The way it works is, you do the thing you're scared ****less of (acting confidently :)), and you get the courage AFTER you do it, not before you do it.
Conrad Vig: That's a dumbass way to work. It should be the other way around.
Archie Gates: I know. That's the way it works.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts