Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, that's pretty much what this post is about. I don't have previous "work" experience, although I did volunteer at a YMCA for 2-3 months because our GED class required it. Any tips or useful things like where to apply, etc? In an ideal world, of course I'd want a job where I can just be mostly by myself, but I don't think that would happen lol. I'm gonna try places like Trader Joes, Safeway, Rite aid, staples probably. Maybe barnes and noble or gamestop too, I really like both of em. I'm in community college, though, so it would be part time since 2/5 weekdays i'm at school from around 8:30-5 basically.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I think the best minimum wage place to apply at, that's best for moderate isolation is a dollar store or walgreens. I've bee in these stores, and there is usally a couple people there or none at all, a d they usally just have 1 or 2 cashiers there who don't even really talk, just stand around. Idk how severe your SA is but if you can handle A few customers every now and then, and want to make decent money, your best bet is some type of dollar store or walgreens. I did apply at these places, but didn't get the job of course, and ended up getting someting else.

All those places you listed are good actually.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I got my first job at 18. Since you're going to CC, try asking someone if there is a community college job search site. These are usually free and quite good. Good luck

·
electric
6,777 Posts
Those sound great! Just depends on what you like or are interested in! I worked part time as a pizza delivery driver for years while in school and it was a pretty good part time job. I liked it and it terms of pay vs stress ratio, it was very favorable.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My advice would be to try a busy office where are there are lots of staff. This is the environment where I am the most happiest because when it's busy the time goes so fast and also you have a lot of people to interact with which can make you happier.

I have always had bad luck in smaller offices and there have been cliques. I found myself more isolated in this environment. However everyone is different so you might even find yourself better suited in a smaller office. I would give anything a go. I hated working in a supermarket but don't mind customer service over the phone. Just try as many things as possible and you will soon determine what suits your skills.

As you are only 18, I would just think of this time as experience and not worry about a possible career options. If you hate it, you know that you will choose something different in the future.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts