Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have experience with this? I haven't had a job for about 2 years since I quit my last job because it was just way too stressful and anxiety-inducing. I haven't been able to find a job since.

But now I don't know how I can find a new job, because I don't want to have that big gap on my resume, but I can't really lie either because what if they start asking me questions about my non-existent job? I don't want to say I haven't been able to work because of SA or "personal issues" or "(mental) illness" because I fear that will harm my chances of getting a job.

Plus how do I deal with the issue of references? I don't want to contact my old boss from my last job because it is so long ago, he probably forgets me, and I don't think he will have much positive to say about me either. I just currently have two friends of my dad listed on my resume to provide character references.

And has anyone been on unemployment benefits before? I was thinking maybe if I go on it, they will somehow help me find a job, regardless of my length of unemployment, because their ultimate goal is to get me off their books as soon as possible...

·
Permanently Baned
2,594 Posts
Between 26 to 32 I was unemployed for a solid 3 years due to depression, followed by 3 years of being a scrub at jobs trying to climb back out of the depths.

Then the climb back was very difficult. I worked as a "lab aide" making a little more than minimum wage doing chemical testing. The company had interns come in making more than me which was embarrassing since I had 5 college degrees and was former US Navy and was working for a semiconductor company making $80k per year before my mental collapse.

Eventually I got from minimum wage to $17/hour at age 31 which was still embarrassing given my esteemed background.

Today, I'm doing a little closer to what I should be, but those years of depression were costly indeed.

It takes a lot of time, maybe form your own small company and write your resume against your own company (which I did) to account for time.

I even took community ed classes and trade school classes to keep my mind working through those wasted years and did a lot of random temp to hire positions trying to recover.

·
SOS Member
4,575 Posts
I tell lies for a 3 years gap in my resume telling the interviewer I work with my dad and brother. The truth is I was in grad school during the 3 years gap and I know if I tell her that, she'd say I'm over-qualified. I got the job eventually, which I quit two months later and then going back to grad school again. My grad school allowance is x2 higher than the salary of that job.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I heard someone on here say that they made up a lie and said they went travelling when they had a few gap years...

·
Banned
8,418 Posts
My career has been coping with recruiter

2 year gaps but always into a project
Last one is alwys on the CV. I think they only accept a person with one job ever and about to consider another. Someone who's had 2 jobs would be ruled out and unemployable. I've had about 30 jobs.

I want to ask the person responsible to show me some evidence to prove that I can't do something that I tell them I can do. This never gets into our correspondence. The forever loop of applying for a job. Never told I can't. Just told good luck with your search.

Every interaction starts with them shouting at me, asking what my name is, so I shout at them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am 30 and have been unemployed for 3 years. Before that I worked retail jobs for a few weeks until I had to quit due to my issues. From the age of 18 - 28, I never worked. I live with my mom and she was supporting me. I did go to college for quite a few years and now I am facing loan debt. I eventually got an Associates degree but went to school long enough that I should have gotten multiple degrees. I need to get a job now because I need to get out on my own. You could say that you were doing odd jobs: cleaning, lawn care, and other labor jobs. I have done this on my resume and have gotten some call backs, but no job yet. I did actually do this with my brother on and off for a few years in my early 20's but it was never pull time. Good luck

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Does anyone have experience with this? I haven't had a job for about 2 years since I quit my last job because it was just way too stressful and anxiety-inducing. I haven't been able to find a job since.

But now I don't know how I can find a new job, because I don't want to have that big gap on my resume, but I can't really lie either because what if they start asking me questions about my non-existent job? I don't want to say I haven't been able to work because of SA or "personal issues" or "(mental) illness" because I fear that will harm my chances of getting a job.

Plus how do I deal with the issue of references? I don't want to contact my old boss from my last job because it is so long ago, he probably forgets me, and I don't think he will have much positive to say about me either. I just currently have two friends of my dad listed on my resume to provide character references.

And has anyone been on unemployment benefits before? I was thinking maybe if I go on it, they will somehow help me find a job, regardless of my length of unemployment, because their ultimate goal is to get me off their books as soon as possible...
I don't understand,if you don't have a job but aren't on the Unemployment Benefit,how are you making any money?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't understand,if you don't have a job but aren't on the Unemployment Benefit,how are you making any money?
Well, that's the thing, I'm not really making any money which is why I want a job! I earn a few thousand each year in dividends, as I have most of my savings invested in shares, but I still live at home, so my parents pay for food/utilities, and I just use my savings to pay for my own expenses on things like phone, clothes.

But obviously I want a full-time job so I can support myself and move out.

·
Banned
211 Posts
I would do the following:

1. Study for a qualification.
2. Volunteer.
3. Update your CV and Cover Letter
4. Practice interview techniques.

Studying and volunteering will show you have been using your time appropriately and have an interest to return back to work. You will get new references. There are many career resources available online to help you with your CV, Cover Letter and interview techniques.

As for the gap on your CV it is best to be honest. Keep it short and simple.

All the best!

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
2 years is a hard one. It's quite common for people to take a year out travelling these days so you could use that as a white lie and then afterwards say you had a hard time finding a new job. If i was you i would try and get any kind of job or even work unpaid for a while in your field of interest just to get out of the rut.

·
Registered
788 Posts
2 years is a hard one. It's quite common for people to take a year out travelling these days so you could use that as a white lie and then afterwards say you had a hard time finding a new job. If i was you i would try and get any kind of job or even work unpaid for a while in your field of interest just to get out of the rut.
Yeah, if you do unpaid work you might be able to get away with leaving out the fact that it was unpaid (not lying that it was paid, just not stating whether you earned a salary or not).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts