Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:clap Yay! Thismorning I went to the local benifits office (Centrelink) for an appointment with one of their psychologists. I said I have SA and frequent panic attacks.
She reckons its significant enough to debilitate someone in everyday life, that including working. Well! Well! Well! Thankyou. Shes put me on a 'limited work capacity' meaning Ill only be required to look for jobs that would suit my condition, with less pressure to 'just get any job' (which your basically pressured into doing if you get benifits). Dont get me wrong, I want to work. Just in an environment Im comfortable with. I said this to her.
Im not on disibility, because basically Centrelink doesnt see most mental illnesses as a disibility STILL in todays society!
Atleast someone in the department is helpful for once!
So Im happy with that, atleast thats one pressure off my back.
Shes also put me onto another psych doing CBT. YAY! :) But she wanted to take me on because shes interested in SA.

·
Banned
33 Posts
I just got put on one of those the other week. All they really did for me was make me work 2 days a week instead of 4 (I'm working for the dole).

·
Registered
60 Posts
Very good. :) I had that happen to me last year, though they decided to put me on the disability pension specifically a few months later after a psychiatrist's assessment. Either way, they put me through a specific disability employment assistance agency for the time being so they can assist me/find jobs for me/help with resumes/attend interviews/etc. I may be getting a couple of days a week work soon, if I prove lucky.

·
Registered
794 Posts
That's great! :)

Still a tad confused though, as the UK sees a mental illness as a disability (I get Employment & Support allowance and i'm excused from working). Seems like we're the only country that does!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got put on one of those the other week. All they really did for me was make me work 2 days a week instead of 4 (I'm working for the dole).
Id be happy working 2 days a week. Although thats not sufficient enough to live on. But its a start.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx everyone. Im not expecting too much from them. But atleast something is being done. I just happy with that. I feel validated for once by the psych. I just hope the next psych knows something about SA.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Id be happy working 2 days a week. Although thats not sufficient enough to live on. But its a start.
I'm only working for the dole so it's not REAL work, it's just getting me to do something for my dole money instead of filling out my fortnightly form and handing it in to centrelink. I only get $20 on top of my dole money for transport.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts