Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To my surprise, my pdoc is finally letting me give 10mg Adderall XR a try to see if a strong dopaminergic can combat my avoidant social phobia. I'll progressively update this thread once I begin taking it to share its effects on social motivation, confidence, and sociability.

Anyway, I'm off to get this script filled.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
it might give you some anxiety but it does increase drive and mood quite a bit
I think he (or much more likely an imaginary figure like him) does have benzos or GABAergic drugs in general to counteract that anxiety...

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know if this is something I would be proud about. Once you start this you can go ahead and plan on staying on it for life. I'm off of it now, was on it for 1.5 years and it totally changed me. I'm not the same person now. No enjoyment in life except my morning jolt of Starbucks coffee.
It's good for a while, maybe 3 months then it starts going down hill. I have a feeling you'll find out. This want do sh*t for avoidance except make it worse. It will give you energy and confidence to do things, but if your avoidant of people,this will only make it worse and probably give you obsessive behaviors.

Sounds like your doc gave up and went the easy route. It does help just about every ailment that people has in the short run but in the long run it is bad.

Hate to be negative, but im speaking from experience. I still have some adderal around and have to use it just to get me in the mood to clean the house, mow the yard etc.
I'm not planning on using it every day, only when I have to face intimidating social situations. And my doc has Rx'ed me many other failed meds, why not try a new class of drugs for a change?

I think he (or more an imaginary character like him) does have benzos or GABAergic drugs in general as well...
Yeah I've got plenty of clonazepam around for anxiety. I just took 1mg right now to ease my hypochondria concerning adverse cardiovascular effects.

I'm going to go spend a bit of time now with some of my extended family who just recently came into town, so I'll report back later on how things went while on the Adderall.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
whoa. how did you manage that? did your doc get you to try other meds first or did you just state your case for the adderall helping and convinced them to get you a script?

the help on my SA went in steps: first it helped with being talkative as a result of being more alert and more aware in situations, but new situations were still scary. over time success (or at least, improvement) helped me gain confidence in my abilities. it doesn't cure my SA, it has just helped in making it easier, and the regular exposure (compared to once every month or two) has just helped me gain experience and now i feel much better in being able to go out and meet people. so part of it is myself and not just the drug but it has certainly helped a lot (it doesn't always help, if i'm overtired i still suck at socializing and in general many situations are still difficult but it has improved a lot in the past six months).

not to mention it has helped immensely with school.
but i'm out of school right now, and will be until 2010. i do have much more free time during the day when i'm not working (when i socialize its usually later), and the adderall has certainly changed certain habits. particularly the most difficult is the hyper focusing. it is mostly a very good aspect BUT if i get stuck doing something, i can easily waste away more time than planned doing it and can up to hours while other things that have to get done are pushed off. it's just a matter of setting a schedule every day and forcing you to do more than one thing.

good example - before the adderall, the inattentive ADHD would cause me to easily lose focus and concentration and stop doing something despite interest. now that it's sort of gone, once i get interested i can't stop.

now wikipedia is practically a CURSE as i can waste hours constantly reading new pages and every new page i read i click on at least one link to another page (or more), and read about a related topic and it goes on and on like that... kind of funny really. it's just a matter of stopping myself from wasting too much time on something unimportant or unproductive. even leaving the house helps. i've been going to the library occasionally (the biggest here), finding a topic and getting few a books on that and flip through them a few hours. i don't see it as a waste of time as i leave when i have things to do, and it's great fun since before i couldn't focus well enough and retain the information.

i've just been making lists that i carry with me always of things i must do.. call someone, pick up a book on hold, do my laundry, etc. in that sense i am more organize as before my usual habit was to put things off and forget. being aware of that has made me even more organized, actually.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I feel like anti-depressants in general make me feel like I have ADD, because I lose motivation and I can't concentrate properly, but this probably more to do with the fact I don't actually care.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Don't know if this is something I would be proud about. Once you start this you can go ahead and plan on staying on it for life. I'm off of it now, was on it for 1.5 years and it totally changed me. I'm not the same person now. No enjoyment in life except my morning jolt of Starbucks coffee.
It's good for a while, maybe 3 months then it starts going down hill. I have a feeling you'll find out. This want do sh*t for avoidance except make it worse. It will give you energy and confidence to do things, but if your avoidant of people,this will only make it worse and probably give you obsessive behaviors.
Most people who are avoidant or socially anxious and take amphetamines usually feel amazingly cured in that regard, at least for the duration of the effects.

The picture is about methamphetamine, which is known to be much more dangerous than amphetamine.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
To my surprise, my pdoc is finally letting me give 10mg Adderall XR a try to see if a strong dopaminergic can combat my avoidant social phobia. I'll progressively update this thread once I begin taking it to share its effects on social motivation, confidence, and sociability.

Nice one man.

Don't know if this is something I would be proud about.

Methamphetamine is a great deal more neurotoxic than regular amphetamine. Also, I believe IllusionalFate was going to try using it (in low doses) with selegiline, which fully blocks neurotoxicity. He'll probably use magnesium too for preventing tolerance.

I'm off of it now, was on it for 1.5 years and it totally changed me. I'm not the same person now. No enjoyment in life except my morning jolt of Starbucks coffee.
This is all true, but taking magnesium supplements should balance out the excess glutamate which leads to tolerance (and rebound anhedonia).

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
now wikipedia is practically a CURSE as i can waste hours constantly reading new pages and every new page i read i click on at least one link to another page (or more), and read about a related topic and it goes on and on like that...
I'm glad I'm not the only person who gets sucked into Wikipedia for hours on end jumping from page to page to page reading about ... everything. :b

Congrats on the Adderall script!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ive tried 10mg of adderall once... it put me to sleep. So i tried 25. Didnt really feel anything, until it wore off. the side effects were like...extra anxiety. might try 35-40 sometime.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can tell you amphetamine does screw with your memory a little. I have been taking it for about a year and a half and my memory definately isnt as sharp. Sometimes I have to remember how to spell words that I knew how to spell perfectly, but this could also be due to depression and brain fog. Also many people forget to eat or don't eat as much as they should when on adderall due to not feeling hungry or the idea of food makes them feel kinda sick because they have to force it down. This can lead to a nutrition deficiency which has a lot to do with memory depression and lots of other effects.

There are several things you can do to counteract the effects of amphetamine degrading the brain.

Everything in this Natural Regimen is available without a prescription, they are NATURAL.

- Vitamin B Complex for the reproduction of Dopamine, this will help benefit Depression, Anxiety Disorders, Alezheimer's disease, Chronic fatigue, Addiction disorders (Too much Adderall), and Parkinson's disease.
- 5-HTP for the reproduction of Serotonin
- Magnesium Supplement to control the Tolerance to Adderall
- Melatonin; Natures Sleep Hormone sleeping medication
- Pantothenic Acid, which is one of the B vitamins. At a dose of 250mg to 500mg, it enahnces energy, alertness and elevates mood.
- Coenzyme Q10 plays a role in the energy-production system in each cell. A Dose of 30 to 90mg in the morning leads to increased energy that is noticed by mid afternoon and evening.
- TMG - Tri-Methyl-Glyceride is a lesser-known nutrient that has potent effects on mood. After a few hours of your dosage (250mg to 1000mg) you may notice a high increase in energy and elevation of mood.

Also make sure you try to take it at around the same time every time you take it. It will be increasingly harder to sleep each night if you don't plan it in your routine. Sleep is even more important on adderall.

Also any damage that the adderall does is minor and repairable unless you are chonically abusing it. It could take several months or a year though before the receptors heal.

Good luck and if you have any more questions let me know. I am an expert on adderall and I have done a lot of research on it myself because I was worried about any damage it might be doing.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
Don't know if this is something I would be proud about.
It would be interesting to see similar brain mapping of the effect of untreated stress and anxiety. Another psych. disorder (schizophrenia) causes massive loss of brain tissue and this is most likely even more accelerated w/o treatment. Average life expectancy is 27 years less than normal.
Getting treatment for psych. conditions involves tradeoffs but is important.

·
Equilibrian Epicurius
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Woah, this drug absolutely crushes my SA completely! I feel confident, talkative, motivated, cognitively enhanced, socially competent, and even euphoric. It also completely eliminates my avoidant behavior and makes me feel like I can handle being in any social situation with ease. My driver's test is coming up in a few days and I don't even feel nervous about taking it at all. If I walked out of my psychiatrist's office this afternoon without a script in hand I would have canceled it by now

whoa. how did you manage that? did your doc get you to try other meds first or did you just state your case for the adderall helping and convinced them to get you a script?
I had to jump through a few hoops before he would even consider it, and after I tried Nardil for a little over 8 weeks to little avail I suggested that a dopaminergic based regimen would give me the confidence I need to get a job or attend school. He tried to convince me that staying on Nardil would've eventually got me out of this rut, and that there was no drug available that could magically turn things around for me in an instant - But then he mentioned that I was pretty treatment resistant and if I didn't want to go back on Nardil then he wouldn't mind trying out a psychostimulant.

Also, I believe IllusionalFate was going to try using it (in low doses) with selegiline, which fully blocks neurotoxicity. He'll probably use magnesium too for preventing tolerance.
I might try combining it with selegiline if I end up taking Adderall frequently enough. Magnesium and possibly also memantine will be used for tolerance prevention.

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts

If you have taken benzos. before, how does benzo. withdrawal compare to stimulant use?

·
taking a break from SAS
1,408 Posts
You mean benzo withdrawal compared to stimulant withdrawal? I'm not quite sure, since I use both only intermittently.
Well sort of, I meant benzo. withdrawal with stimulant use (not stimulant withdrawal). Benzos. are depressants, so during withdrawal you often get stimulant effects, I was wondering how these compare to stimulant effects from amphetamines. They are probably not similar because benzo. withdrawal is associated with rebound anxiety and stimulant use (in your case atleast) makes you less anxious.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
I can tell you amphetamine does screw with your memory a little. I have been taking it for about a year and a half and my memory definately isnt as sharp. Sometimes I have to remember how to spell words that I knew how to spell perfectly, but this could also be due to depression and brain fog. Also many people forget to eat or don't eat as much as they should when on adderall due to not feeling hungry or the idea of food makes them feel kinda sick because they have to force it down. This can lead to a nutrition deficiency which has a lot to do with memory depression and lots of other effects.

There are several things you can do to counteract the effects of amphetamine degrading the brain.

Everything in this Natural Regimen is available without a prescription, they are NATURAL.

- Magnesium Supplement to control the Tolerance to Adderall
how much magnesium should i be taking?
right now i take one tablet of 100mg of "Elemental Magnesium (From a highly absorbable natural magnesium complex source of oxide, citrate, fumarate, malate, succinate and glutamate.)"

in my multivitamin there is also 50mg of "Magnesium (HVP Chelate)".

are those the right type of magnesium i should be getting?

1 - 20 of 168 Posts