Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should have been in college 2 years ago, so I almost feel like it's too late to do exactly what I want to do.

My goal is to get a masters degree in computational linguistics.

First I will go to a community college for computer science, then transfer to a 4 year school and double major in computer science and linguistics. Then I found a great school I could go to after that that offers a masters degree in computational linguistics - exactly what I want to do.

The only thing I'm afraid of is overloading myself with work, and I'm also afraid I might be setting my goals too high. Another thing - it will take a long time, and I know I'm still young and 20 years old (when I'll be starting) is not too late to go to college by any means...but I feel a lot of anxiety thinking about how I might be in my late 20s by the time I'm done with school.

I'm wondering if this is even feasible, or if I'm just worrying too much...

(I think it's worth mentioning I am not good at studying - more like I have trouble motivating myself - and I get very easily overwhelmed.)

·
Registered
143 Posts
It sounds like a good plan. Do not worry about your age. Many students go to school at various periods of your their life. Members on this forum can attest. Pursue your goals and I wish you good luck.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Worrying too much is just a part of SA. Keep moving forward.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you going to be working at a job while you are in college? I don't think it would be a good idea to work at a job with the plan you have.
I just quit my job, actually. I know myself better than that :p I can barely handle working that job as it is.

·
Registered
582 Posts
A lot of people finish school in their mid 20's so you've got nothing to worry about.

This sounds like a good plan, best of luck!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sounds like a well though out plan. You can do it, and please keep the community updated. Good luck!

·
Abendfuchs
1,357 Posts
Go for it, and don't be afraid to change your plan as you go if certain things don't turn out like you expected.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I should have been in college 2 years ago, so I almost feel like it's too late to do exactly what I want to do.

My goal is to get a masters degree in computational linguistics.

First I will go to a community college for computer science, then transfer to a 4 year school and double major in computer science and linguistics. Then I found a great school I could go to after that that offers a masters degree in computational linguistics - exactly what I want to do.

The only thing I'm afraid of is overloading myself with work, and I'm also afraid I might be setting my goals too high. Another thing - it will take a long time, and I know I'm still young and 20 years old (when I'll be starting) is not too late to go to college by any means...but I feel a lot of anxiety thinking about how I might be in my late 20s by the time I'm done with school.

I'm wondering if this is even feasible, or if I'm just worrying too much...

(I think it's worth mentioning I am not good at studying - more like I have trouble motivating myself - and I get very easily overwhelmed.)
I believe in you!

After my mom got divorced at 29, she went back to college and became an administrator and is now in charge of 150 employees and 100 patients.

It's never too late.
It's never too late.
It's never too late.

You know when it's too late? When we're dead lol because we obviously can't participate anymore in this life.

I graduated """""late""""" as well. No biggy.

And yeah be careful don't pile off too much work, because even if you do succeed and you will, other areas of your life will suffer. <BALANCE>

·
Registered
303 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Don't worry about it being "too late". You have plenty of time. I'm 22 and finally going to study what I've wanted to do later this year. There will always be people both older and younger than you in college.
Good luck :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts