Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lost my job, £2000+ and 2 years of my life, but I think what I miss most are my emotions. SSRIs really haven't done **** for me except dull my brain to the world and make me apathetic. I have pretty disabling SA, but if I don't step back into reality soon I will miss all chances of education and basically fail at life. What good is a lack of anxiety when accompanied by a lack of anything?

Who else has stopped SSRIs? I am on 15mg escitalopram going cold-turkey.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've been on SSRI's a handful of times and quit cold each time. Even from the highest dose (though I don't recommend it from a high dose). It's nothin to it man. You'll feel ****ty and depressed and get the brain zaps. But what I noticed once those went away and the SSRI was out of my system is that I was given a powerful surge of Drive and Motivation.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I totally understand what you mean when you wrote that SSRIs dull your emotions. you feel like a complete robot. I've been on prozac for a little over four years now and have tried multiple times to get off it but end up feeling depressed and anxious. However I'm currently getting off it again. What I did was trickle off it over a two and a month period- taking one every other day about two weeks (it was 10mg by the way but ive been on higher and if yours is higher it might help to make it an even longer 'trickle off' period) - then one every two days for two weeks - then every three day for about 2 or 3 weeks and I currently havent taken one for about a week and a half. This is the point where i usually start to see my SA get really bad and i start getting depressed but as of now I feel good- I realize that It takes 5 weeks for SSRIs to totally get out of your system butI feel that this regimen will follow through but i cant say. This isnt was my doctor prescribed but when she gets me off it she only gives about 2 to 3 weeks to trickle off then stops it but I figured becuase I had such a hard time before maybe I needed more time and it seems to be working out well for me.

basically I say DONT go cold turkey!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As it stands with my psychiatrists, my choices are:

• Stay in a mental hospital to be evaluated, therapised and possibly prescribed drugs

Oh wait that is my only choice. So yeah I just cut ties with them and they stopped my meds. Cold turkey is all there is, but I have been through high dose, long-term benzo withdrawal and I don't see how this can beat it. Bring it on, zombie pills!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yeah definitely. Just make sure to monitor your thoughts and triple guess every decision you make. The drop in serotonin can really **** with your head. I did some really stupid **** now that I think about it and messed a lot of stuff up while quitting cold (from high doses).

The way the SSRI's change your thoughts while you are on and after you are off is very dramatic but the thing is it happens SO SUBTLY that you don't notice it.

When I stopped 40mg Paxil cold once and after it was out of my system, I had such a drop in serotonin that I was completely dopamine/norepinephrine driven that I became determined to join the military because I wanted to fight and mess people up. LoL. Not good.

Also another time quitting 200mg Zoloft cold made me stop caring about everything including my awesomely good job that I had and I started embezzling money from it. And the whole situation sent me in a nasty spin. You know what though, the plus side to this situation is that quitting the drug opened my eyes and let me see how much I really didn't like that job in the first place and how it wasn't for me and not inline with my creative abilities. So in a sense being on the drug just created a mask and made me think I was in the right place in my life, when I really wasn't.

So actually I don't recommend quitting cold for most people. Low to medium doses are no big deal though I do that often with no probs.

·
calm
264 Posts
I've lost my job, £2000+ and 2 years of my life, but I think what I miss most are my emotions. SSRIs really haven't done **** for me except dull my brain to the world and make me apathetic. I have pretty disabling SA, but if I don't step back into reality soon I will miss all chances of education and basically fail at life. What good is a lack of anxiety when accompanied by a lack of anything?

Who else has stopped SSRIs? I am on 15mg escitalopram going cold-turkey.
glad to read that from YOU

though I recommend you STRONGLY not to go cold-turkey, i will do you harm. tics, brain-zacs etc, could stay for more than 6 months. 15mg arent peanuts.
I hope you make it through withdrawl. wish you luck!

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Day 1 of withdrawal:

Nothing really noticed yet apart from a bit of emotion returning and a cloudiness of thought. I still feel a lot of apathy, and can't get this s*** out of my system soon enough. I am tough as nails after other withdrawals so ready to tackle this beast head on.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Day 3:

All I've noticed is a mild irritability, dissociation/derealisation, and return of anxiety/depression. I wouldn't call this suffering; at most, it is a bit annoying. It's barely even noticeable.

Is this SSRI withdrawal? How pathetic.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ridiculously easy. All I felt was mild derealisation.

Do people actually find it tough to quit meds like escitalopram? Jeez, I think they need to experience some real suffering.

Oh yeah, I'm now on various supplements again, so should be getting the SA under control more sustainably (and without any zombification).

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I went through GBL delirium. I know some people are having a hard time quitting SSRIs, but how hard can these times really be compared to "real" suffering ;) ?.

·
Banned
642 Posts
@euphoria: How do you feel after you drink a couple red bulls? For me I feel like a million bucks! I can think clearer and it allows me to channel anxiety more efficiently

Unfortunately it's not the be all end all solution but it helps me more then those depressing little ****ing pills they call SSRI's. Every depressing word imaginable can be used to describe how they make me feel

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Day 11:

Emotions and sex drive are now returning. I am slipping into depression.

@euphoria: How do you feel after you drink a couple red bulls? For me I feel like a million bucks! I can think clearer and it allows me to channel anxiety more efficiently

Unfortunately it's not the be all end all solution but it helps me more then those depressing little ****ing pills they call SSRI's. Every depressing word imaginable can be used to describe how they make me feel
I feel awful after consuming any caffeine, now I'm in a permanent state of semi-withdrawal from benzos.

As for the other ingredients, I take inositol and taurine supplements.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.