Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went for my first appt with the psychiatrist at the VA today. Not only was he very nice, listened to, didn't treat me like I was 5 (like my last one) but agreed to prescribe me Xanax for my anxiety and panic attacks. I just told him I've tried all the SSRIs, and Klonopin, but the only thing that worked for me was Xanax. I was so glad he didn't treat me like some drug seeking junkie. Naturally, I don't want to use benzos long term, but I need them to get me through this particular bad time I'm having (won't go into the details)

The bad news, he's leaving to go to the Combat PTSD clinic and I won't be able to see him again :sigh

I just figures...

·
Banned
1,376 Posts
any doc can prescribe your meds, the K dose was probably too small or the tablets spoiled by hot storage, time expired or inactive fakes

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
any doc can prescribe your meds, the K dose was probably too small or the tablets spoiled by hot storage, time expired or inactive fakes
I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I was on 1mg twice a day and the only thing it did was make me tired. VA med scripts are filled from a central location in Dallas so I can see where they could have been spoiled by the heat..

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I was on 1mg twice a day and the only thing it did was make me tired.
Klonopin made you tired -- a standard benzo effect if you're not used to them -- so they did work. They just didn't work the way you wanted.

I seriously question Arthur's claim that they could be fakes. If somebody is going to fake a drug, they'd go after something that costs a lot instead of cheap benzos. This is why $20, $50, and $100 bills may be counterfeit, but nobody is going to counterfeit a $1 bill as it's simply not worth it. Any drug fakes would have to get past the FDA here in the US, and there have been a few cases where fakes have, but it's not at all common.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
1 mg is nothing. People with severe social phobia usually need something like 4-20 mg clonazepam a day.
OK, Klonopin users, would you like to share with us how much you're using per day? I've yet to see anybody using a double digit dose for SA or any other anxiety disorder.

The highest dose I've ever seen on SAS (or any other anxiety forum) was by a guy who got 8 mg daily simply because his doctor wrote down the wrong dose and keep refilling it at that high level without looking at it to see his error.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I was prescribed 8mg Klonopin / day + 400-600mg Topamax, but now I am off meds. The Klonopin did work good for my anxiety by the way, I had no bad side effects and the withdrawal was fast and painless using Phenobarbital. My Pdoc has some patients on higher doses than 8mg, but just people with neurological disorders (mostly epilepsy).

I doubt that people with severe social phobia need 4-20mg Klonopin / day (average=12mg). I have very high tolerance tolerance to GABAerigcs so I need high doses of any benzo to feel something.

@Freesix88: Do you have any data or study to support your statement?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
20mg is probably enough to knock out a large hippopotamus. I seriously doubt anyone without years of tolerance would need more than 1-3mg (in a single dose) for adequate anxiety relief.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts